Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Fast away the old year passes, fa ra ra ra ra, etc.

As 2011 turns before our eyes into 2012, here, for your entertainment pleasure, is something really weird involving Vivian Leigh, Robert Taylor, World War II, and a Chinese soprano singing “Auld Lang Syne” (4:43).

Over and over and over.

This is probably politically incorrect, but shouldn’t she be saying “Auld RANG Syne”?

Which reminds me of a joke told to me by a 93-year-old woman who happened to be the mother of an eye surgeon who happens to be my son’s father-in-law:

After conducting a thorough eye exam on a Chinese gentleman, the ophthalmologist said, “Sir, I’m sorry to have to tell you this, but you have cataracts” to which the Chinese man replied, “No, doctor, I no have cataracts. I have Rincoln Continentals.”


Moving right along, the above photograph of a 1969 Cadillac in a corn field makes me think that the manufacturer has changed its motto from “Creating a Higher Standard” to “If you build it, they will come.”

It also makes me think of Kevin Costner in Field of Dreams, but that is an entirely different post.

So before I get carried away completely with silliness (I can hear some of you saying, “Too late”), let me just wish you a happy, healthy, prosperous, and peaceful year throughout 2012, the Mayan calendar ending next December being thought by some to indicate that the end of the world will occur next December notwithstanding.

Ring out the old, ring in the new! Or as that Chinese soprano would say....

3 comments:

  1. The video was different...and sad!

    Happy New Year to you and family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do find some unusual things for your posts, RWP! "For old land (sic) syne."

    Was that a Netsuke that she gave him? It seems to be featured during the video clip; perhaps that's the reason for the Oriental rendition.

    A Happy New Year to you, and yours, also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theanne, I saw your comment on Elizabeth's blog. How do you get it to say "Theanne" over there but "Theanne and Baron" over here? Inquiring minds want to know! Oh, and a Happy New Year back atcha....

    Pat, I had no idea what a Netsuke was until I looked it up on Wikipedia just now. Vivian did appear to give her soldier some sort of kewpie or voodoo doll, or perhaps it was a troll or gremlin. I don't get out much.

    Thanks for the Happy wishes. Likewise, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...