Tuesday, November 24, 2009

On starting Christmas advertising before Thanksgiving, er, Halloween, er, the autumnal equinox


It seems to get earlier and earlier every year, doesn’t it?

I always usually go through a pretty severe “Bah, humbug!” phase before getting into the Christmas spirit. I don’t like what “they” (the merchandisers) have done to Christmas, especially the part where we are supposed to feel pressured into buying ever more expensive gifts in order to keep up with those darned Joneses. Then I remember that God gave us the gift of Himself through the voluntary sacrifice His son made, and that Christmas is all about the Incarnation (God with us, Emanuel). So I usually get my head on straight by about December 23rd.

Before then, I don’t even want to think about Christmas shopping.

Update, 11/25/2009: P.S. - Silly songs about red-nosed reindeer and dashing through the snow and you better watch out, you better not cry, and winter wonderlands and such ought to be outlawed. (I'm really getting into my “Bah, humbug!” phase now.)

4 comments:

  1. Yes, indeed, remembering that the Gift has already been given - that we are merely giving each other tokens to celebrate Him - definitely helps us not get caught up in the secular. After you've had a lovely Thanksgiving, THEN I'll wish you a Blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, mos def . . .

    Christmas season starts right after Labor day and its "don't expect sales prices, better do your shopping now before the merchandise runs out . . . yadda, yadda . . .

    its tough to get in the proper mindset. :-(

    ..
    .ero

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...