Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Ifs and buts, or Having fun with language

Pam Doyle (real name of a blogger in southwest Washington who calls herself Hilltophomesteader, I suppose because she lives in a homestead on a hilltop) took up the theme of the previous post (What If?) in the comments section, asking, "What if 6 days went by and we didn't see a post from RWP???"

I posted that post on August 12 and Pam must have written her comment on August 18, although because of my slowness in moderating comments it wasn't published until August 20. Now it is August 22 (10 days, forsooth!) and I still haven't posted another post.

So here at last is another post to tickle your collective fancies, although it might prove to be both uncomfortable and embarrassing to go through life with tickled fancies (collectively, of course).

I shall take the lazy man's way out, however, and refer you via this link to a fascinating -- I urge you to read every word -- look at the possible origins of the idiom "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts".

Happy reading!

6 comments:

  1. I read this (and the link) with interest, but not fascination, to be honest Bob. However coincidentally the book I am currently reading 'Clarissa Oakes' (called 'The Truelove' in the USA) contains another example; '... with if's we could put Paris in a bottle'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard that one before. But I’m happy to have you back among my commenters, Kate!

      Delete
  2. this leads me to question:
    is your name Rhymes?
    and do you have plague?
    "the" plague or are you just plagued?

    plague is a silly word when over used

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie (or is it sonja?), you have raised several interesting issues. I shall address them in my next post.

      Delete
  3. It's amazing how much commentary can be drawn from just one simple saying. I like to know the background to words and expressions but it is impossible to know everything me old china*!

    * Cockney rhyming slang for mate - as in china dinner plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The writer of Ecclesiastes (purported to be King Solomon) said in chapter 12 that of the making of many books there is no end and that much studying wearies the flesh. The same thing can be said of blogposts.

      =

      Delete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...