Friday, August 24, 2018

kylie asks a few questions that deserve answers

In the comments section of the previous post, the following appeared:

kylieAugust 23, 2018 at 11:51 PM

this leads me to question:
is your name Rhymes?
and do you have plague?
"the" plague or are you just plagued?

plague is a silly word when over used


and I shall now address her three questions and her statement one by one.

Q. Is your name Rhymes?
A. Rhymes is part of my blogger name, Rhymeswithplague, or RWP for short, which I arbitrarily chose as my blogger initials by isolating the first letter of each of the three words (rhymes, with, and plague -- note that I used the Oxford comma there) that one might perceive as being the component parts of my blogger name although they are not; my blogger name is, as I have already said, Rhymeswithplague, a single but all-encompassing word that pleases me. My actual given names in real life, although you did not ask that question, are Robert and Henry. My surname is Brague, which just happens to -- you might have guessed -- rhyme with "plague"; I began saying this some years ago in an attempt to get people to pronounce my surname correctly. Many people said Bragg and some people said Brahg and some people even said Bragoo to rhyme, I suppose, with Mr. Magoo. My name definitely does not rhyme with Mr. Magoo. Some people still have difficulty pronouncing my name, so I am considering changing my blogger name to rhymeswithegg, but don't hold your breath.

Q. And do you have plague?
A. I do not, as far as I know, have plague.

Q. "the" plague or are you just plagued?
A. Although this is a sentence fragment and not technically a question, I will do the gracious thing and try to answer to the best of my ability. I do not, as far as I know, have plague (see previous answer), "a" plague, or "the" plague. What do you mean by "the" plague, exactly? There are a number of plagues, as this list indicates, although I suppose you meant the diseases, of which there are at least three: bubonic, pneumonic, and septicemic (once again I have used the Oxford comma; I am nothing if not consistent). I am occasionally plagued by questions from readers, however.

Q. Plague is a silly word when over used
A. This is not a question either. But here's one: What do you mean by "over used"? To my mind, that is a very subjective term and cannot be answered with objectivity, as one man's meat is another man's poison, so to speak. Same goes for "silly".

Now I have a question for you. Is Australia really down under?

To readers everywhere: Your questions are important to us and will be answered in the order they are received. The current wait time is seven months, 14 days, 21 hours, and 42 minutes (and I am still using the Oxford comma).

(Photo courtesy of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Public Health Image Library. It is in the public domain and used by permission PD-USGOV-HHS-CDC)

15 comments:

  1. Is this the famous Kylie who's surname rhymes with Pogue. Pogue is an interesting word as it's the diminutive of something rude In Erse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrian, as a matter of fact, I do not know kylie’s surname. For all I know, it could rhyme with Thumpelstiltskin. Thank you for asking.

      Delete
  2. Well, Robert, as an exponent of the Oxford comma, I enjoyed your post. I knew the answers to most, or perhaps all, of the questions except, possibly, "What do you mean by "over used"?".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, “over used” means “used to excess” like the roads in metro Atlanta, as contrasted with “under used”, which describes the roads on the Island of Lewis and Harris in the Outer Hebrides of Scotland.

      Delete
  3. Smiling at the answers. And the use of the Oxford comma.
    We are sometimes down, and sometimes under (done/appreciated) but recover. Mostly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elphnt’s Chld, it’s okay to be down and even under as long as you are never out.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for clearing that up, Mr Bregg!
    Australia's down-under-NESS is entirely dependent on where you are standing at the time or maybe which way your map is oriented. It's all very vexing, for sure.
    I have never used the Oxford comma and intend to remain true to my English language roots by not using it without good reason.
    My name is kylie Tai and before that I was kylie Jurd. I won't tell you what that rhymes with.
    I'm honoured to have a post devoted to me. Thank you *bows*

    ReplyDelete
  5. kylie, Jurd rhymes with bird, curd, furred, gird, heard, nerd, purred, stirred, word, and one other word that I won't mention either.

    My feeling is that if you were true to your English language roots you would use the Oxford comma, but only with good reason. Here are three good reasons:

    1. Among those interviewed were Merle Haggard's two ex-wives, Kris Kristofferson and Robert Duvall.

    2. This book is dedicated to my parents, Ayn Rand and God.

    3. Highlights of Peter Ustinov's global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela, an 800-year-old demigod and a dildo collector.

    By the way, kylie rhymes with highly, shyly, and wily.

    You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Australia's down-under-NESS is entirely dependent on where you are standin"

      I am glad to know this because I had thought the term was an insult, although I very much liked the romanticized song about coming from "the land down under," which is a lot better than me saying that I come from the Far Left Coast (which, sort of like "land down under" can be an insult, a compliment, or a just a silly way of providing a geographic orientation, only in this case, the first two depends upon one's political orientation). All that said, if I say to someone, "By the way, I guess you knew Kylie comes from the Land Down Under" (I really don't know if it's capitalized), what does Kylie say about me (surely not "Snowbrush comes from the Land Up Top")? By the way, I heard that you have a new prime minister who I'm totally behind (not under however) solely because of his accent.

      Now to you, Rhymey (it's really too bad you don't live over there with Adrian so you could call yourself Limey Rhymey). Drunks used to be split into sweet drunks and mean drunks, but you've added a whole new category. I suppose you know that Ayn Rand didn't believe in God's existence (I suppose she's learned better by now), which would have made it difficult for them to be married even if she weren't already married to a man named Frank O'Conner plus being the sweetheart of Nathaniel Branden and every modern American Republican politician (all of them Christian, oddly enough), male and female, although it sickens me so to envision these affairs that I can't allow myself to do so. Few people know that Rand had twin daughters, both of whom she named Kylie Jurd Rand O'Conner, which many thought was carrying the whole twin thing more than a little too far (sort of like what you've done with your drinking), but since you're intent on constantly discussing God, I might ask (in fact, I will) if you've seen the PBS series "God in America"? It's really quite good, and there is a lot there about Methodism and its constant orgies. I had thought that John and Charles were brothers, but it seems that they were much more than that. Why didn't you tell me?! As an added bonus, there's a segment about the founding of Reform Judaism, and how there was a big banquet when the first rabbinical class graduated, and every dish was deliberately anti-Kosher, that is it contained shellfish, meat boiled in milk, etc. About this, I am serious. If there was a Reform Synagogue here, I might really get into THAT, but there's no way I'm going to learn Hebrew, and start insisting on Peggy celebrating Jewish holy days with me. We've been through a lot in our 46 years, but that would certainly be like the road that ended at the top of a cliff.

      Delete
    2. Snowbrush, it is always good to hear from you, but if I had to guess whether you drinking a little bit yourself this afternoon, I would guess "yes, definitely" plus you are more verbose than usual, which may be a telltale clue. (I'm joking here, don't get upset). If I were over there with Adrian, people would undoubtedly say, "Blimey, it's Limey Rhymey, and that Scottish friend of his." I don't quite understand how I have added a whole new category to the former dichotomy sweet drunks/mean drunks, unless you are suggesting either (a) I am neither sweet nor mean when drunk or (b) I am both sweet and mean when drunk. Just for the record, I am not drunk and for you to intimate that I am because of my blogging style is beyond the pale, or possibly even beyond the pail.

      Delete
    3. "if I had to guess whether you drinking a little bit yourself this afternoon, I would guess "yes, definitely'"

      SIR, I'll have you know that haven't had a drink since breakfast! I'm always a confirmed teetotaler in the early afternoon (as you surely know, but your readers might not know, the word teetotaler originated with a member of a temperance society who stuttered, total abstinence coming out: "tee-tee-tee-total abstinence."

      "I am not drunk and for you to intimate that I am because of my blogging style is beyond the pale, or possibly even beyond the pail."

      Ah, go back to your kale!

      Delete
  6. As you may have noticed I use the Oxford comma. It was the way I was taught in school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emma, it’s the way I was taught in school too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Though your Frenchified name may not rhyme with Mr Magoo, your personality often seems Magoo-like. Mr. Magoo is a wealthy, short-statured retiree who gets into a series of comical situations as a result of his extreme near-sightedness, compounded by his stubborn refusal to admit the problem. However, through uncanny streaks of luck, the situation always seems to work itself out for him, leaving him no worse than before.

    Sounds familiar?

    ReplyDelete
  9. YP, you left out pudgy, but no, it doesn’t remind me of anyone I know. Did you know that when you point a finger at someone else you have three fingers pointing back at yourself?

    ReplyDelete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...