Sunday, June 9, 2019

Mindless meanderings, or everything is still normal

Dear Wormwood,

Yesterday my two sons loaded me into the car as an early Father's Day present and the three of us drove in to Atlanta and saw an 80-minute play based on C.S. Lewis's book, The Screwtape Letters. It was called, appropriately, The Screwtape Letters.

(Note to Self: In the first sentence above, the phrase "as a Father's Day present" probably would have been better if placed elsewhere. --RWP)

A group called the Fellowship for the Performing Arts (FPA) out of New York put on the play, which had only two characters, Screwtape and his charming (I'm being sarcastic) little demonic assistant, Toadpipe. The play was very good. FPA have been to Atlanta before, having produced Lewis's The Great Divorce here as well as Martin Luther On Trial. I saw and enjoyed them all.

The play was performed at the Ferst Center for the Arts on the campus of Georgia Tech. It's too bad the place isn't called the Ferst Center for the Performing Arts because then I could have written (FPA) a second time if I ignored the word "Center".

I notice little things like that.

Anyway, a good time was had by all and we stopped for lunch at Jason's Deli in Kennesaw on the way down. I had an enormous Reuben sandwich that was called "Lighter Portion" on the menu, and a fresh fruit cup to boot. I didn't actually boot it. I ate it.

The fruit. Not the cup. Strawberries, pineapple, apples, and grapes are much tastier and more satisfying than the cup in which they are delivered.

I'm guessing. I don't know that for a fact.

It's another happy day in the Rhymeswithplague household. We may have to go out and buy a new refrigerator this afternoon.

Wish us luck.

Affectionaely,
Your uncle (Bob or Screwtape, take your pick)

10 comments:

  1. That was an excellent Fathers Day gift. It certainly beats a tie or a skill saw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am re-reading some C.S. Lewis books and I would like to see that play. My friend visits and we drink tea and watch Tony Ash's 10 part videos on C.S. Lewis and his writings. Good idea to eat the fruit and not the cup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, drinking tea and watching videos on C.S. Lewis sounds like a wonderful way to pass an afternoon, fruit cup or no.

      Delete
  3. It is years since I have read The Screwtape Letters and I have never seen it performed. Lucky, lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, during an audience discussion with the producer after the performance, one audience member remarked that parts of the book had been left out. The producer answered that listening to the audiobook recording of the entire book takes six hours and he thought we wouldn't have the patience to sit that long!

      Delete
  4. What a delightful and most thoughtful birthday gift from your two sons. I guess that they love you and I imagine that when they were younger you were a brilliant father to them - employing kindness and understanding far more than discipline. If only you had known you could have asked them for a new refrigerator instead of the theatre trip and the deli lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still trying to figure out why you have to buy a new fridge because it's a happy day in your household. Also, how did the three of you drive? Take turns? How exactly did your sons load you into the car? Lengthwise? Inquiring minds want to know....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, you had me guffawing into my hot chocolate with your first sentence. There was no cause-and-effect relationship between by two thoughts and I now regret juxtaposing them in the same sentence. I need to buy a new refrigerator because the old one is slowly giving up the ghost, not because it is a happy day. The condition of my kitchen appliances may affect my pocketbook but they have no effect on my decision to rejoice and be glad every day!

      Only one of us, my oldest son, drove. We other two were passengers. Again, I must be more precise in my writing.

      Stay happy. Don't buy a refrigerator unless you have to.

      Delete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...