Saturday, June 22, 2019

Time Marches On Department: Meryl Streep is 70

Just let that sink in. I will not comment further except to say that the first time I ever saw Ms. Streep on the silver screen was in The Deer Hunter. I looked it up just now and the year was 1978, so that would make her, let's see, divide by 4, carry the 8, all of 29 years old in that movie. I feel old. No, that is incorrect. I am old. And so, by the way, is Meryl Streep.

Moving right along, I ran across a page on Facebook called YumOola (who names these things?) that takes you, when you click on it, to a website called oola.com (I repeat, who names these things?) and a list called 50 Snacks The States Are Known For -- Have You Tried Yours?

No kidding, that was the title. Being the curious sort, I perused the list and here they (the 50 snacks) are, although some of them are not "snacks" in the typical sense of the word:

You may fire when you are ready, Gridley.

Here we go.

Alabama: Cheese Grits
Alaska: Salmon
Arizona: Mexican Food
Arkansas: Cheese Dip
California: Avocado Toast
Colorado: Rocky Mountain Oysters
Connecticut: Hot Lobster Rolls
Delaware: The Bobbie
Florida: Key Lime Pie
Georgia: Peach Cobbler
Hawaii: The Hawaiian Plate
Idaho: Potatoes
Illinois: Italian Beef Sandwiches
Indiana: Hoosier Pie
Iowa: Corn on the Cob
Kansas: Bread
Kentucky: Fried Chicken
Louisiana: Jambalaya
Maine: Lobster
Maryland: Crab
Massachusetts: Clam Chowder
Michigan: Cherries
Minnesota: Swedish Meatballs
Mississippi: Biscuits and Gravy
Missouri: Toasted Ravioli
Montana: Wheat Montana Cinnamon Rolls
Nebraska: Runzas
Nevada: Shrimp Cocktail
New Hampshire: Cider Donuts
New Jersey: Salt Water Taffy
New Mexico: Chili Peppers
New York: Cheesecake
North Carolina: BBQ Pork
North Dakota: Bison Burgers
Ohio: Buckeyes
Oklahoma: Country Fried Steak
Oregon: Marionberry Pie
Pennsylvania: Cheesesteaks
Rhode Island: Clam Cakes
South Carolina: Sweet Tea
South Dakota: Kuchen
Tennessee: Hot Chicken
Texas: Tex Mex
Utah: Jello
Vermont: Maple Syrup
Virginia: Apples
Washington: Oysters
West Virginia: Pepperoni Roll
Wisconsin: Cheese
Wyoming: Beef Jerky

I don't think the list is scientific. I think it's just supposed to be fun. But I have been wrong before.

A few observations: I have never been to North Dakota, but I have eaten bison burgers. I lived in Nebraska for three years but I have never heard of runzas. Why would Illinois have Italian Beef Sandwiches instead of Polish Sausages? Shouldn't Minnesota's snack be lutefisk, not Swedish meatballs? In a shout-out to my friend Snowbrush, I am very familiar with biscuits and gravy (Mississippi) but I have no idea what a marionberry (Oregon) is.

My two favorites (British, favourites) from the list are definitely Georgia's Peach Cobbler and Florida's Key Lime Pie. I am also an expert, if you ever need one, on Tex Mex.

Live and learn. And while you're living and learning, you need to know that key lime pie is nothing at all like lemon meringue.

10 comments:

  1. I have heard good things about key lime pie, but never tried it.
    I hope to be a fraction as active as Ms Streep when I reach her age. If I reach her age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I reached her age eight years ago. Every morning when I awake I exercise. I say, "Up, down, up down." And then I say, "All right, now the other eye."

      Delete
  2. My friends and I discovered Key Lime Pie when we were in college, it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, isn't it, though? There's nothing quite like authentic key lime pie.

      Delete
  3. I grew up in Nebraska and never heard of runzas. A lot of the other foods I have eaten. I thought Washington would be apples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, I thought Washington would be apples too. And I thought South Carolina would be shrimp and grits. Sweet tea is more of the Southern National Drink, certainly not the possession of South Carolina alone. A work colleague of mine got up and walked out of a restaurant in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, when he told them he wanted "tea" to drink and they brought him a cup of hot tea. He told them he meant iced tea, so they brought him a can of Lipton's and a straw. It was, no pun intended, the final straw.

      Delete
  4. I had never heard of Delaware's "The Bobbie". I thought it might have been named after you but my extensive research indicates that the popular sandwich was named after a lady called Winona who married into the Capriotti family in Wilmington. She hated her first name and was always referred to as Aunt Bobbie.

    Furthermore: "The famed Capriotti's sub, made with slow-roasted, pulled turkey, cranberry sauce, homemade stuffing and a schmear of mayonnaise on a freshly baked roll, was introduced 40 years ago to the public at the chain's flagship shop on Wilmington's North Union Street."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil, when I typed the word "Bobbie" I suspected it would be you who connected it to me. For more info on state snacks, see my comment above to Emma Springfield.

      Delete
  5. No oysters for this Washingtonian! My dearest and I went to Costco today (hungry, big mistake) and bought snack foods for our 'new homestead building endeavors' (that's our excuse and we're sticking to it...) We came out with BIG jars of cashews, macadamia nuts, mixed nuts, choc. covered raisins, cheeses and a couple kinds of crackers. Did I mention some 'organic' chocolate goodies? Yeah. Next time we'll eat first...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, eating before grocery shopping is always a good idea.

      Delete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...