Saturday, October 26, 2019

Chocolate mousse is like what??

Back on September 28th, in a short post entitled "A short post is still a post" I shared the following with you:

The three hardest things to say:
1. I’m sorry
2. I need help
3. Worcestershire Sauce

which elicited from you, my vast reading public, what for this blog is quite a few comments, 12 or 13, or as we say here in the colonies, "a right smart amount".

Just yesterday it elicited another one from my old friend Elizabeth Stanforth-Sharpe, from whom I had not heard in some time. She said, "Why bother saying 'Worcestershire Sauce' when you could say 'Henderson's Relish'? Far tastier and from an infinitely superior county” (meaning Yorkshire) and then congratulated me on having reached my 12th, or silk, blogging anniversary.

Blogging is so educational. As I had never heard of Henderson's Relish, I looked it up.

I received a shock of inestimable proportions and replied to Elizabeth as follows:

"Elizabeth, I am not familiar with Henderson's Relish. Another name for Worcestershire Sauce in the U.S. is Lea & Perrins (the two men who, I discovered in my reading, invented Worcestershire Sauce in 1837). Live and learn. I also learned just how little I know when I read that Henderson's Relish is very similar to Worcestershire Sauce but without the anchovies. I had no idea that Worcestershire Sauce contained anchovies. You have furthered my education. Reading that Henderson's Relish is very similar to Worcestershire Sauce but without the anchovies was rather like reading that chocolate mousse is very similar to trifle but without the mustard. I am still in shock."

I want to ask readers who don't live in the U.K. two questions:

1. Have you ever heard of Henderson's Relish or am I the only one living in a vacuum?
2. Did you know before reading this post that Worcestershire Sauce contains anchovies?

I want to ask readers who do live in the U.K., in the interest of science, of course, to prepare two trifles, one with mustard and one without, and report your findings to us. Anchovies are optional.

As we also say in the colonies, "Don't knock it until you've tried it."



(Both images used in accordance with CC-BY-SA 3.0)



(Above image used in accordance with CC-BY-3.0)

20 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of Henderson's relish. I did know about the inclusion of hairy fish in Worcesterhire Sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. Your participation trophy is in the mail.

      Delete
  2. The answer to both questions is no. I am slightly embarrassed because I use a lot of Worcestershire sauce. It enhances the flavor of so many foods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma. Your participation trophy is in the mail.

      Delete
  3. I must honestly answer yes and yes. But in fairness I do read many British blogs and that is probably why I have heard of Henderson's. I also knew about the inclusion of the anchovies because I tend to be a label reader. I don't care for anchovies but in this case I can't really tell they are there. I am partial to the original Lea & Perrins sauce and often use it in cooking more than at the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie. Your participation trophy is in the mail.

      Delete
  4. I'd never heard of Henderson's Relish. I did know that there are anchovies in Worcestershire Sauce. I am particularly fond of smoked anchovies and use preserved anchovies a lot in cooking. I also use Worcestershire Sauce in cooking and not as a table sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Graham. Your participation trophy is in the mail.

      Delete
  5. I learned something new. I had never heard of Henderson's relish. I did know that Worcestershire sauce has anchovies.I use it in cooking too.
    I have never made a trifle either, but I don't think mustard would be a good addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. Your participation trophy is in the mail.

      Delete
  6. I forgot about the trifles. Sorry but I rarely if ever eat sweets/puddings unless I'm entertaining and would never dream of putting mustard in a trifle even if I were game enough to take you up on your offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Graham. You will not be receiving a second participation trophy. However, you are to be commended on your thoroughness and your desire to be completely candid.

      Delete
  7. I use Worcestershire sauce as a table sauce most notably on sausages and cold beef. I also cook with it. It was always referred to Lea and Perrins, like "please pass the Lea and Perrins" in our house but now I have nobody to talk to I do not have to refer to it out loud at all. I was aware that it had anchovies. I have never commented here before, I hope you don't mind me participating, that is if you even turn back here and see it! I have never heard of Hendersons. I live in England. I eat a lot of mustard too coming from a mustard growing area famous for Colman's Mustard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel, and welcome to my blog. Of course I don't "mind you participating" -- on the contrary, I love receiving comments from new readers. All the comments are moderated, so I am aware of every last one of them no matter how far back the post may be and none appear until I approve them. This keeps away the spammers and ne'er-do-wells. I am surprised to learn that several commenters from England have never heard of Henderson's. To hear our Yorkshire friends talk, you would think otherwise.

      I sauntered over to your blog and am duly impressed. I noticed that you are Rachel P in your header and Rachel D in your URL. Curiouser and curiouser, to quote Lewis Carroll.

      i have never heard of Colman's Mustard either. Over here we have mostly French's, Heinz, and Grey Poupon.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. A word of caution, do not believe everything your Yorkshire friends tell you.

      Delete
  8. I trust that you will take Rachel's last comment with a very large pinch of salt, Bob! We Yorkshire folk are just the same as those the world over; some are honest and some are not, and it is to your own judgement to decide which is which. I'm so pleased that I was able to educate your mind, if not your palate, to one of the finer items of our regional culinary repertoire. Colman's mustard is another iconic and historic British brand. The powdered form comes in a yellow tin, and many homes keep some in the bathroom as a few spoonfuls heaped into a hot bath relieves colds and aching muscles, or it can be applied as a poultice. It is, of course, also an extremely good seasoning in cheese and chive scones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, thank you for commenting! Your trust is well-placed, as I thought Rachel's tongue was planted firmly in her cheek when she said that abouot people from Yorkshire. We do the same kind of friendly banter over here between states -- Georgia and Alabama, Ohio and Michigan, Texas and Louisiana, and so forth.

      We do not have Colman's mustard. We have primarily French's, Heinz, and Grey Poupon.

      Delete
  9. PS; Why on earth would anyone ever consider putting mustard in a trifle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, no one ever would, which is the point. Putting mustard in a trifle is as shocking an idea as putting anchovies in Worcestershire Sauce was to me when I first learned of it. Mrs. RWP doesn't like anchovies at all, especially in salads or on pizzas, and said now she knows why she much prefers Heinz 57 or A-1 sauce to Worcestershire Sauce. We both were surprised to learn about the anchovies.

      Delete
  10. Yes, anchovies are just plain wrong in anything except the sea.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...