Wednesday, October 2, 2019

This post is revolutionary.

I mentioned at the end of my last post that my next post would be revolutionary, and it is. It says so right there in the title. To learn why, continue reading.

What I am about to tell you is not what makes this post revolutionary, though. What I am about to tell you merely documents a recently-acquired pet peeve of mine to go along with all the other pet peeves I already have.

I don't know if it happens in England or Australia, but more and more Americans are confusing the words where and were in their writing. I roll my eyes, I clench my teeth, my jaws tighten every time I encounter it, but to date my actions have had absolutely no effect on my fellow countrymen (and women).

It shouldn’t be that difficult, people.

As every speaker of English should know, “were” is the past tense of the verb "to be". Surely you remember conjugating verbs:

I am, you are, he/she/it is, we are, you are, they are show the present tense of the verb "to be" in first person singular, second person singular, third person singular, first person plural, second person plural, and third person plural, respectively.

I was, you were, he/she/it was, we were, you were, they were show the past tense.

I shall be, you will be, he/she/it will be, we shall be, you will be, they will be show the future tense.

Some people no longer differentiate between shall and will, but we oldtimers who were taught well still do.

I could also speak, if time permitted, of the present perfect (I have been, you have been, etc.) and the past perfect (I had been, you had been, etc.) and even the future perfect (I shall have been, you will have been, etc.), but it does not.

Time is precious.

As I was saying, more and more Americans write sentences like “We where late to the festivities” and “I don’t know were I left my car keys.“ I see sentences like these quite frequently.

I’m not kidding.

There are two reasons, in my opinion. First of all, in old western movies, people with frontier accents were always saying things like “Whur did y’all git them there horses?” A lot of people in America still talk like that, except today they say things like “Whur did y’all git that there iPhone 10?”

So the word where has been mispronounced on this side of the pond for a very long time.

And second of all, people also drop the H sound from the WH combination so that the words where and were have become American homonyms (words that sound alike but are spelled differently) when they are not. For the record, I was taught back in antediluvian times to pronounce WH words as though they were spelled HW (hwat, hwere, hwich, hwen, hwy, hwether, and so forth) because they originally began with “hw” in Old English, also known as Anglo-Saxon.

I use the HW sound in all the words mentioned previously, but I have never used it in who, whom, or whose. I don’t know why. I just don’t. I say hoo, hoom, and hooz. I don’t spell them that way but I do say them that way. It’s quite inconsistent of me, I know. But I have heard a woman on television say “to hwom” on more than one occasion. I could tell you her name but I won’t.

As I said at the beginning, absolutely none of any of that makes this post revolutionary.

Here’s what makes this post revolutionary.

It’s my 1776th post.

What could be more revolutionary than that?

(Declaration of Independence, a 12-by-18-foot (3.7 by 5.5 m) oil-on-canvas painting created by John Trumbull in 1819, hangs in the U.S. Capitol rotunda and depicts activities that occurred in Philadelphia in July 1776.)

10 comments:

  1. It happens here too. Your and you're are another regular confusion which irritates me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you colonials!
    I lived in a particular part of Scotland for a time where they blow the 'h' in 'wh" words to the extent that it sounds like a 'f', and of course they really emphasise their 'r's. I concluded it gave them a definite educational advantage.
    Two particular errors irritate me: they're/there/their and affect/effect. Pure ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasker, did you know that in the Maori language of New Zealand 'Wh' is pronounced as 'f'? It's true.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on 1776 posts. Keep on posting. Now grammar. They stopped teaching grammar in my school more than 20 years ago. Things are going to get worse. However , being an optimist, things will swing back and grammar will be taught again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I'll try to remember to do a Canadian post when I get to 1870.

      Delete
  4. 1776 posts? My goodness. You have been a prolific writer. I agree with your grammar peeves. I have so many. I suppose it is because we were expected to speak and write correctly. I am constantly correcting people who are on television and should know how to express themselves properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma,, it's okay to talk to your television set as long as your television set doesn't talk back to you.

      Delete
  5. I yell at the TV newscasters like men yell at the television during football games. Really, I don't yell just correct them with a great deal of ire in my voice. "I wish I was" instead of "I wish I were" drives me nuts. Even though I am an English major, I know I am not the grammar police.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practical, when I am in a subjunctive mood (and aren't we all at times?) I recite the following little poem that I have known since childhood:

      Star light, star bright,
      First star I see tonight,
      I wish I may, I wish I might
      Have the wish I wish tonight.

      ...and then, like a Miss America candidate, I say "World peace" and the subjunctive mood passes or at least subsides.

      Delete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...