Friday, November 22, 2019

Freddish and my reality

In this very interesting article in The Atlantic magazine about Fred Rogers of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood fame, he is reported to have been very careful about how he spoke to children and what he said to them. People who worked with him on his television program dubbed his approach "Freddish" and eventually produced a pamphlet entitled "Let's Talk About Freddish".

According to the pamphlet, there were nine steps for translating something into Freddish:
  1. “State the idea you wish to express as clearly as possible, and in terms preschoolers can understand.” Example: It is dangerous to play in the street. ​​​​​​
  2. “Rephrase in a positive manner,” as in It is good to play where it is safe.
  3. “Rephrase the idea, bearing in mind that preschoolers cannot yet make subtle distinctions and need to be redirected to authorities they trust.” As in “Ask your parents where it is safe to play.”
  4. “Rephrase your idea to eliminate all elements that could be considered prescriptive, directive, or instructive.” In the example, that’d mean getting rid of “ask”: Your parents will tell you where it is safe to play.
  5. “Rephrase any element that suggests certainty.” That’d be “will”: Your parents can tell you where it is safe to play.
  6. “Rephrase your idea to eliminate any element that may not apply to all children.” Not all children know their parents, so: Your favorite grown-ups can tell you where it is safe to play.
  7. “Add a simple motivational idea that gives preschoolers a reason to follow your advice.” Perhaps: Your favorite grown-ups can tell you where it is safe to play. It is good to listen to them.
  8. “Rephrase your new statement, repeating the first step.” “Good” represents a value judgment, so: Your favorite grown-ups can tell you where it is safe to play. It is important to try to listen to them.
  9. “Rephrase your idea a final time, relating it to some phase of development a preschooler can understand.” Maybe: Your favorite grown-ups can tell you where it is safe to play. It is important to try to listen to them, and listening is an important part of growing.
Few of us are that scrupulous, but it should give us all pause and food for thought.

My dad didn't talk like Mr. Rogers. Sometimes he called me "Dummkopf" when he was particularly exasperated.

I ended up being named valedictorian of my graduating class. I think he was more surprised than anybody.

Sometimes, out of the blue, he would show me his hands and say, “The Navy trained these hands to kill”. Sometimes, for no reason at all, he would talk about the Medes and the Persians, or Ur of the Chaldees. Sometimes, as if to remind himself that a tirade may have gone on too long, he would quote Jesus Christ, "Whoever shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea".

It was hardly ever a beautiful day in my neighborhood.

If you had asked me back then if I loved him, I would have said, "No". I feared him. Today I think I can say that I love him. I have definitely forgiven him. With the passage of the years, especially after I had children of my own, I came to understand what he was trying to do (raise me to be a good man, point me in the right direction). He did the best he could with the tools at his disposal. He was honest, hard-working, and very difficult to live with.

If you think old Rhymeswithplague is a bit loopy at times, perhaps you can begin to understand why.

Even though it is almost six minutes long, I hope you will watch this video clip of the 1997 Daytime Emmys when Fred Rogers received a Lifetime Achievement Award.

In the 10 seconds of silence he gave us, I thought about my mother and one or two other people. I did not think about my father.

18 comments:

  1. Our parents were products of their own upbringings. I was so fortunate because my parents always treated us with respect and we knew it. My father was not raised that way but he overcame. At the same time neither of my parents were like Mr Rogers. They seemed more real to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, my mother and father were so different from one another. I heard her say one time that she had fallen in love with a sailor suit and realized later that she didn't care very much for the sailor. Mr. Rogers is almost like an ideal that no one could possibly live up to.

      Delete
  2. It is unfortunate and sad that more of us did not have parents like Mr.Rogers. Maybe that is why he reached so many people - he filled that hole for some. He was not on the air when I was young but my sons loved his show. He seemed to be able to reach them in a very special way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose a lot of people were afraid of their fathers for more or less reason. I know I was because his anger was so nearly out of control that he acted positively insane, and he didn't care who was around to witness his tantrums.
    You seem--to me--to have said more about your mother than your father over the years. I don't know why, but I think the reverse might be true of me. Like you, I have come to think much better of my father as I aged. In fact, while I never dream about my mother, my father sometimes enters my dreams, always in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snowbrush, I don't think I have ever dreamed about my father but every once in a great while my mother appears in a dream.

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed hearing about Mr. Rogers. He seems like he was a really nice man. Don't think I spoke Freddish with my kids though.
    Children were raised differently years ago. I remember my mom saying that her father would spank her if she spoke or laughed at the table. No love or laughter in that house, but somehow she and daddy made a happy home and childhood for me. I am thankful for the happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, people used to say that children should be seen and not heard, and based on some of the children I have seen and heard in public, I wish it people were still saying it. Some parents are oblivious.

      Delete
  5. Until you mentioned Fred Rogers I had never heard of him. It's a shame that some of his kindly attitude to others did not rub off on the current American president whose name escapes me. Grump? Chump? Dump?
    As for "Valedictorian"...just to enlighten others who are not fully familiar with rituals in American education... It is an academic title of success used in the United States, Canada, Philippines, and Armenia, for the student who delivers the closing or farewell statement at a graduation ceremony. The chosen valedictorian is traditionally the student with the highest ranking among their graduating class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil, once a teacher, always a teacher. Thanks for clearing up any confusion amongst my vast non-Armenian, non-Philippine audience.

      Delete
  6. I read your post a few days ago. I'd not heard of Mr Rogers. Given the fact that some people of influence in the public eye seem to have difficulty making themselves understood. I think Freddish seems rather over the top and beyond the ability of the great majority. It brings to mind St Paul's Epistle to the Corinthians "So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? For ye shall speak into the air."
    I think most children understand the sentence 'It is dangerous to play in the street'. Whether or not it is an accurate statement, of course, depends on the street.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Graham, I had the same thought, that most children understand the sentence, 'It is dangerous to play in the street'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Am I the only non-American who has heard of Mr Rogers? I don't know anything about him except his advice for times of trauma "look for the helpers"

    I'm sorry you were afraid of your dad and I'm sorry he thought you were dumb. You seem to have thrived despite it and more importantly, raised your own children differently.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this post, Bob. I only came to hear about Fred Rogers a couple of years ago, but, of course, he is becoming known now over because of the release of the film about his life. What a wonderful, gracious man he must have been. When our young people (and indeed our older ones) struggle so much in this upside down world to find self-esteem, value and worth, we need ever more those who will speak into their souls validation, care and understanding that no matter who they are, no matter what their circumstances, they are unique and precious individuals who have something very special to contribute to this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, you are right, people can thrive when they receive validation, care and understanding. Each of us is a unique and precious individual. The enemy of our souls will tell us otherwise.

      Delete
  10. kylie, I am certain you are not the only non-American who has heard of Mr. Rogers. However, you may be the only non-American who reads this blog and also leaves a comment who has heard of Mr. Rogers.

    I have certainly raised my own children differently. Mrs. RWP and I often say that she learned how not to be a wife from her mother, and I learned how not to be a husband from my father. Our children and grandchildren all seem to be surprisingly normal, if by normal you mean all of them are in church and none of them are in jail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peggy's parents took their three children to church three times a week, but none of them have attended in decades.

      Delete
    2. Snowbrush, an old saying comes to mind, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink". Please don't make the mistake of thinking that I'm referring to Peggy and her siblings as horses, because I am not.

      I can think of several reasons why a horse won't drink. It simply doesn't want to, or it isn't thirsty, or what is offered is not clear, fresh water at all but some sort of insufficient substitute.

      Delete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...