Saturday, November 30, 2019

Post-Thanksgiving reflections

This past Thursday, November 28th, the fourth Thursday in November, was Thanksgiving Day in the United States. Canada's Thanksgiving Day occurs on the second Monday of October, which fell this year on October 14th. Ours used to vary between the fourth and fifth Thursdays in November when people referred to Thanksgiving as occurring on the last Thursday in November. Under Franklin D. Roosevelt, our 32nd president, it was nailed down to the fourth Thursday of November by Congress in 1941. I do not know if other countries observe a Thanksgiving Day, but if your country does, tell us about it and its origins in the comments.

America's first Thanksgiving occurred in 1621 in Plymouth, Massachusetts. Lucky thing, too, as Squanto, a local native American (formerly known as an Indian) who taught the settlers from Europe how to plant and raise crops, died in 1622. In 1789 our first President, George Washington, issued a proclamation concerning a day of thanksgiving, and Abraham Lincoln, our 16th President, issued another proclamation in 1861. In other words, it's a long-standing tradition here, even though for many it is merely a day for family get-togethers, big meals, and marathon watching of football games on television.

My blogger friend Linda asked what we were thankful for besides the usual stuff people say. I replied that I am thankful for indoor plumbing including flush toilets and hot and cold running water, because I grew up without them. I am thankful that we no longer live in a state that had 30-degrees-below-zero temperatures and icicles that reached from the roof to the ground. I am thankful for food in the refrigerator and a car that runs. I said that I was thankful that my children and grandchildren are in church and not in jail.

When my blogger friend Emma asked us to name things we were thankful for, I left the same list but added that although I did not put it on anyone's blog, I am also thankful for the air I breathe and the warmth of the sun. I am thankful for blue sky and green grass. I am thankful for the wonderful wife and companion who has walked beside me for 56 years. I am thankful for my little dog, a Chihuahua-Terrier mix whose name is Señorita Juanita Rosita Conchita Abigail, Abby for short. I am thankful for good health and for enough money to put gasoline (British, petrol) in that car.

I'm thankful for many things I cannot put into words.

And of course I am thankful for you.

What are you thankful for? Keep in mind that if the editor (that would be moi) considers any part of your answer to be rude, lewd, lascivious, or as appealing to one’s prurient interest or political leanings it will not be published.

5 comments:

  1. I am endlessly thankful for lots of things, not least the beautiful world we live in.
    Our culture happily adopts a lot of customs from yours but Thanksgiving passes us by. Which is a shame, though I think that every day we should spend time being thankful, appreciative and just plain grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    I think the first Thanksgiving was actually in Virginia on Dec 4, 1619. They celebrated "a day of Thanksgiving to Almighty God."
    I am thankful for many things too, family, faith, health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already listed the things I am most thankful for in my blog. Your thoughts about indoor plumbing should have been included with the rest. I abhor trying not to freeze (or roast in the summer) while trying to take care of a natural function.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today, I'm grateful for a very dark sense of humour which rescues me on my crankiest days

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thankful to Sue, Kathy, Emma, and kylie for commenting on this post, and I apologize in sackcloth and ashes for failing to respond in a timely fashion. Life gets in the way sometimes, even (or perhaps especially) of post-Thanksgiving reflections.

    ReplyDelete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...