Saturday, June 12, 2021

How to have a plethora of gardenias annually

Step 1: Plant a small gardenia bush.

Step 2: Do nothing.

Step 3: Wait.

Step 4: Let nature take its course.
Step 5: Wait some more. Continue to do nothing.
Step 6: Wait even more. Eventually you will be rewarded with a plethora of gardenias.
Here's the plethora from a slightly different angle:
Step 7: The multitudinous blossoms née plethora will eventually wilt, fade, turn brownish, and drop off the bush. But the fragrance with which your garden has been filled is worth all the mess.

Step 8: Wait a year and repeat the sequence beginning at Step 2.

The photographs in this post were taken over the course of about a week and a half.

10 comments:

  1. My eyes are glowing a bit green. I have failed to grow gardenias. Often. And no longer plant them because of the guilt I feel when they die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, it’s not me, I think it’s my wife who has the ability to make plants grow. We have several beautiful orchid plants in our kitchen has and she swears that the secret is benign neglect.

      Delete
  2. Those are lovely and how I wish I could smell them! I don't think they would thrive in our winters I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, we visited at a friend’s home this afternoon where there were SIX (yes, count ‘em, SIX!) equally-overflowing gardenia bushes lining the fron walk and the aroma was very strong (in a good way)!

      Delete
  3. Funny... my mother always said the same thing about growing cactus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, we haven’t tried cacti yet but my mother used to have several in our Texas house. They are an acquired taste, I think.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful!!
    I don't think gardenias grow well in the mountains of VA, so I will enjoy your pictures instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, glad you like our gardenia bush! I didn’t know one bush could have so many blossoms. Today I took some time and removed the shriveled, dried-out brown ones (this is known as “dead-heading”) so the plant will produce even more. I’m a glutton for gardenias!

      Delete
  5. In the UK I'm pretty sure that gardenias are usually grown indoors. Certainly the weather in Scotland would not be favourable for them. I could always try one in my polycarb.

    ReplyDelete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...