Thursday, June 10, 2021

Many times when I think about my Dad...

...the memories are not pleasant, so I am glad when good memories float up to the surface instead.

Bcause my Dad was born in 1906, he grew up in the era of silent movies and early talkies. When he reminisced, it was about Francis X. Bushman and Tom Mix and Hoot Gibson and Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford and Buster Keaton. Sometimes he would launch into singing old songs like "Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and smile, smile, smile" or "K-k-k-Katy, beautiful Katy, you're the only g-g-g-girl that I adore; when the m-m-m-moon shines over the cow shed, I'll be waiting at your k-k-k-kitchen door" or "Knick-knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone; this old man cane rolling home."

That last one is actually the refrain of a counting song that begins "This old man, he played one, he played knick-knack on my thumb with a knick-knack, paddy whack, etc." and the verses continue with 2 (on my shoe), 3 (on my knee), 4 (on my door), 5 (on my hive), 6 (on my sticks), 7 (up in heaven). 8 (on my gate), 9 (on my spine), and 10 (once again), at which point you can start over at 1 if you like.

Because my Dad was in the Navy during World War II (he enlisted in 1942 at the ripe old age of 35), he tried to teach me how to tie various kinds of knots such as the square knot. I invariably made a granny knot instead and didn't really master the square knot until about a year ago, accidentally, when a light finally came on in my brain. More knots he tried to teach me include the hitch, the half-hitch, the clove hitch, the bowline, the bowline on a bight, and others too numerous to mention. I say he tried to teach me because I rarely achieved very much success under his tutelage. I'm sure he was very disappointed in me at times (the feeling was reciprocated) but he did seem to enjoy hearing me play Minute Waltz by Frédéric Chopin (pronounced SHOW-pan) on the piano.

My dad was also a numismatist and a philatelist. As Dan Rowan used to say to Dick Martin on Laugh-In, you can look it up in your Funk & Wagnalls. His collections were supposed to have made their way to me, but my stepmother had to sell them to get money to help pay for his medical bills. He died of pancreatic cancer in 1967.

I have the rather strange feeling that I have told you all of this before. If so, then I have just told it to you again.

15 comments:

  1. Unfortunately your Dad died at an early age. I'm sure the relationship would have changed over time . In my Dad's last few years, he looked at me and said, "You did alright after all!" I was amazed as I didn't think anybody was thinking that I didn't do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I was 25 when he died. He was able to meet my wife and our two little boys but didn’t get to see his granddaughter. After I served in the Air Force and was hired by IBM, he told my stepmother that I would do all right and he was not worried about me. That is one of the good memories.

      Delete
  2. Your dad died rather young. That is good some pleasant memories have come up for you, like the songs he would sing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, it’s always good to hear from you. Besides singing, my dad whistled a lot.

      Delete
  3. I remember the counting song very well indeed. I am always impressed by your musical ability. Your wit as demonstrated by the last sentence never ceases to amuse me either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, if you were only half-amused would that mean I am a half-wit?

      Delete
    2. Fortunately, Bob, I am never half-amused by your witticisms.

      Delete
  4. Weren't you in the boy scouts? Did you have them there? Lord Baden Powell taught young boys all kinds of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasker, I began as a tenderfoot in the Boy Scouts like everyone else and soon advanced to second-class scout. I advanced no further because first- class scouts had to know how to swim. My dad was Assistant Scoutmaster of the troop and I was convinced he would let me drown. I don’t think that now, but I thought it back then. I never learned to tie the knots but I did become the troop’s bugler.

      Delete
  5. Those all sound like good memories. I'm glad you have some. I'm sorry about the bad ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, I just wish there were more good ones and fewer bad ones.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you have some good memories.
    So he collected coins and stamps? I'm sorry he wasn't able to pass his collection on to you. I'm glad he was able to meet his grandsons though, and it sounds like he was proud of you. Definitely some good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, coins and stamps, yes! He especially liked plate blocks of United States commemoratives. I have licked many a hinge in my time.

      Delete
  7. I know it can be difficult when good memories are clouded by the bad ones. This is a nice tribute to your Dad in remembering the good things. I remember singing the "This Old Man" song when I was young and I in turn taught it to my children and grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I have made a concerted effort to cherish the good memories and, as much as is possible, to forget the bad ones. Easier said than done. I am a work in progress, even at this advanced age.

      Delete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...