Monday, June 28, 2021

Second thoughts

I thought we might take a look at the world's most efficient languages but I had second thoughts.

I thought we might take a look at
the Rosenbergs who were executed for spying in 1953 and whether their sons can reveal the truth but I had second thoughts.

I thought we might take a look at
10 Latin phrases people pretend to understand but I had second thoughts.

What to do? What to do?

I know, let's play Last Lines Of Movies instead!

I will give you the line and the person who said it. You name the movie in which it was the last line. You will receive an extra point if you can also name the person or group to whom the line was spoken, and you will also receive an extra point if you know the year the film was released. No fair looking anything up. You either know the answers or you don't. Guessing is always allowed. Since there are seven questions, the maximum score is 21.

Let's begin!
  1. "Nobody's perfect." (Joe E. Brown)
  2. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up." (Gloria Swanson)
  3. "Mediocrities everywhere, I absolve you, I absolve you, I absolve you, I absolve you, I absolve you all." (F. Murray Abraham)
  4. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." (Clark Gable)
  5. "Rosebud." (Orson Welles)
  6. "Louie, this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." (Humphrey Bogart)
  7. "Say? Oh, I'll say, 'The play is over. Go home.'" (Helen Hayes)
Here is a caveat -- not a caveat emptor, but a caveat -- there may be a red herring or two in the above list.

If you don't want to play the game, go back to the first options. Read the links at the top of the post (if you haven't already) and we'll discuss whatever you like.

Hey, I'm flexible, but that's another post.

8 comments:

  1. You are really pushing my memory here!

    1.Some Like It Hot
    2.Sunset Boulevard
    3. ?
    4.Gone With the Wind
    5.Citizen Kane
    6.Casablanca
    7. ?

    It took me a bit on #1 & #2 but #4, #5 and #6 were easy, probably because I love those movies. I'm at a loss for #3 & #7.

    How'd I do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, you scored 3 points. I will explain and elaborate in my next post.

      Delete
  2. I scored a whopping 15 points. The other two have me completely stumped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma,. not so fast! You must show your answers and then I will tell you how many points you scored. And I will explain and elaborate in my next post.

      Delete
  3. I believe that the last line of Casablanca that you "quoted" is incorrect. I think it was "Louie, I THINK this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." (Humphrey Bogart)
    4 was Gone With the Wind. I don't know any of the others. However I do think that the last (quotable) line of Bladerunner is "Time to die" being the words of Batty after his wonderful monologue "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, you are absolutely correct regarding Casablanca. Being a stickler for accuracy, I don't know how I could have forgotten those words. Thirty lashes with a wet noodle for me.

      I never saw Blade Runner and was unfamiliar with the quote. It is a powerful one, but based on a clip I just looked at it is not the last line in the film . Not counting a voice-over at the very end, the last line is "It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?"

      As for Gone With The Wind, please see my next post.

      Delete
    2. I did say the last quotable line because I knew that it wasn't the last line of the film.

      Delete
  4. Graham, I understand your point, but this was a post about Last Lines From Movies, which is why (for example) that Clark Gable’s line in Gone With The Wind didn’t qualify as a correct answer.

    ReplyDelete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...