Sunday, September 5, 2021

First things first

I was casually scrolling on my iPhone this morning through the "Life & Style" section of the headines of the Marietta (Georgia) Daily Journal when three of them stopped me in my tracks jolted me from my Sunday morning reverie:

West Cobb Senior Center to have Cell Phone Tricks & Tips on Oct. 5

West Cobb Senior Center to have Scarf Tying Workshop on Oct. 12

West Cobb Senior Center to have Women's Self Defense on Oct. 22

It struck me as both amusing and sad that the first thing someone figured the older citizens of the western portion of Cobb County need is cell phone tricks and tips, followed by a workshop on scarf tying. Then and only then, after the more important topics have been covered, a course teaching women how to defend themselves.

I know it was probably only an accident of scheduling and availability, but it struck me as very odd and very telling in the annals of this 21st century of ours.

I now return you to your Labor Day Picnic planning or your Sabbath keeping, unless you are either Jewish or Seventh-Day Adventist, in which case the latter ended yesterday at sundown.

If your activities today include neither Labor Day Picnic planning nor Sabbath keeping, you are left to your own devices.

8 comments:

  1. You tie your smart phone to the end of your scarf and swing it with great force against the head of the assailant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasker, of course! It’s all so clear now! I don’t know why I didn’t see it before!

      Delete
  2. I love how Tasker found a way to combine all three classes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, on the Infuriating-to-Brilliant Spectrum he landed on the brilliant end this time!

      Delete
  3. Actually you need to know how to phone for help when an assailant tries to strangle you with your scarf which, fortunately because of your lesson, you now know how to tie on a non-slip knot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Graham, the plot thickens. If only we had learned how to tie on a slip knot, we might have been able to hang our assailant.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...