Monday, September 6, 2021

My two-thousandth post

In three weeks, this blog will be 14 years old, and according to Blogger this is my 2,000th post. As my creative juices flow somewhat sporadically, in some years I have blogged more than in others (see sidebar for details), but if my math is correct 2000 posts in that period of time is equivalent to publishing one post every 2.5 days since September 28, 2007.

This brings up the question, "How is this even possible given my advanced age and rapidly deteriorating (according to some) mental faculties?" I'm no young whipper-snapper like, oh, say, 67-year-old Yorkshire Pudding, an indefatigable who has been posting practically daily since time immemorial, since Hector was a pup, since it staggers the mind even to contemplate when.

Other questions that have bothered me for a long time include:

Who is Sylvia?

Why do we say "back and forth" instead of the more logical "forth and back"?

Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway? (Comedian George Carlin first articulated this one, i think, unless it was comedian Stephen Wright.)

Why is Australia called "Down Under" but Greenland and Iceland and Lappland are not called "Up Over"?

Why, at the time of their adoption in 2013, weren't the amendments to the law of male primogeniture made retroactive so that the Princess Royal could be moved ahead of the Duke of York and the Earl of Wessex in Britain's royal line of succession to the throne?

Who is Hector?

Why does Boris Johnson's hair resemble Donald Trump's instead of, say, Charo's or Ann-Margret's?

Over the next 14 years, I will attempt to answer questions such as these. Not these, necessarily, but questions such as these. And any help you can provide toward solving these mysteries will be greatly appreciated.

Above all, keep reading. One can't call oneself a writer unless one has something very important.

Readers.

18 comments:

  1. Who says you have rapidly deteriorating mental facilities? Just name them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasker, nobody that I know personally, actually. However, I think (but have no proof) that there are plenty of people who think physical decline and mental decline go together like the proverbial horse and carriage. I hope I am wrong. My mother’s father was sharp mentally until the day he died, three months before his 96th birthday. I’m hoping to be like him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just keep wondering. That's what is keeping your mind so sharp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, in keeping with your latest post about the music of your life, your comment here made me think of the song “I wonder, wonder, wonder, wonder who, who wrote the book of love?”

      Delete
  4. Jeannelle, thank you! I do miss seeing new posts on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on 2000 posts. Keep on asking the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on 14 years blogging and 2000 posts! Well done! You spoke like you were too old to blog and I say no way! I follow several bloggers that are past 80 and going strong! I've even wondered if blogging keeps you mentally young because it seems to do that for some people. Keep asking questions because that is what keeps many of us going. I find the older I get the more curious I get about all kinds of things I was never interested in before. I love learning new things and I think you do too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, the actual blogaversary date is not for three more weeks but I accept yours congratulations in advance! What a good comment your have made. It helps to straighten out my thinking. I have been so surprised to find that I’m now 80 that I have imagined that others think think I’m now in my dotage (and I’m not!). I have always been the curious sort but in earlier times had to wait to get to an encyclopedia or a library to obtain answers. Now we have the smartphone and can look it up immediately!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on 2000 posts! what a fabulous thing blogging is, long may you continue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie, thank you very much for continuing to return!

      Delete
  8. Interesting, indeed. I've been searching blogs hither and thither (no I haven't because I can't research blogs not yet written) for answers for years but there are always more questions than answers. Oddly my blog has just run a month or two over 14 years but only has 1877 posts (but for 10 years of that time I lived in New Zealand and posted on my New Zealand blog). There are 216 draft posts I see so I suppose I should go and examine some to see if any are usable.

    As for Sylvia you've got a choice but all the swains adored her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I'm sure between your Stornoway blog and your New Zealand blog you have far surpassed my meager total. I can't even begin to fathom how many Yorkshire Pudding must have; he posts almost every single day!

      Delete
  9. I like being called a young whipper-snapper even though I will be 68 within a month. Congratulations on hammering out 2000 blogposts. "Rhymes With Plague" is like Henry Ford's car factory. I wonder what will leave the production line next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil, how pleasant you are today! I was expecting a rude comment about the Princess Royal.

      Delete
    2. Neil, how pleasant you are today! I was expecting a rude comment about the Princess Royal.

      Delete
    3. I like the way you said that twice for special emphasis.

      Delete
    4. Neil, it’s the oddest thing. When I reply to a comment via my computer, one reply is what gets published, but when I reply to a comment via my iPhone, two replies often (but not always) are what gets published. Methinks my smartphone is not all that smart. Look on the bright side: you get to see your name twice!

      Delete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...