Sunday, November 14, 2021

Sumer is not icumen in

...unless you are in Australia or New Zealand or Santiago, Chile (famous for having been Yorkshire Pudding's jumping-off place for his trip to Rapa Nui, also known as Easter Island, in 2009) or anywhere south of Mount Kilimanjaro on the continent of Africa (our grandson had a magnificent view of Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania from his front door during the summer he spent in southern Kenya several years ago, but that is a topic for another day).

Wikipedia tells us that "Sumer is icumen in" is the incipit of a medieval English round or rota of the mid-13th century; it is also known variously as the Summer Canon and the Cuckoo Song. You may consider this your factoid for the day and look up the word "incipit" later, if you so choose.

In Canton, Georgia, USA, this morning it is 29°F (-1.67°C) and we have had the second frost of the season in our back yard (British, garden). Sumer is a-goin' out in my part of the world. In fact, it is long gone; we are actually two-thirds of the way through autumn (spring for those readers covered in the opening paragraph above).

No news is good news, as they say, and I have nothing else to say except that I do not like cold weather at all and am not looking forward to the next three months. Sumer can't be icumen back in too soon for me. To paraphrase Maya Angelou, I know why the cuckoo sings.

Have a good day.

Here is a panoramic view of Santiago, Chile, where apparently one can have summer and winter simultaneously.
(Photograph used in accordance with GNU Free Documentation License)

P.S. -- Here is another factoid, a bonus factoid of the day, a sub-factoid, if you will. Santiago, Chile, and San Diego, California are both named in honor (British, honour) of the same person, Saint James. The Hebrew name Jacob somehow becomes James in English, but in Italian it is rendered Iago (are you listening, Shakespeare?) and in Spanish Diego.

You are very welcome.

T.T.F.N.

15 comments:

  1. It is 15°C here today despite being dull and drearily wet. Fortunately the forecast gales have yet to arrive.

    I read few early manuscripts or documents of that ilk so rarely come across your word of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, well, it is 14°C (57°F) here this afternoon, but it was 29°F (-1.677deg;C) when I got up this morning.

      I am surprised it's that warm where you are, but you do have the benefit of the Gulf Stream after all, do you not?

      Delete
    2. We do indeed have the benefit of the Gulf Stream and, as virtually nowhere inhabited is very far from the sea, most of us feel the benefits of it.

      Delete
  2. Summer definitely IS icumen. We are up to a whole 42 degrees Fahrenheit today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, as I just told Graham, we are up to 57°F this afternoon ourselves.

      Delete
  3. There was frost here early doors. Don't panic it's usual at this time of year.
    I could tell as the fields(American, Ranges maybe) were all white and shiny. Leave such patronisation to those too ignorant to know the difference between maize and sweetcorn or shin beef and sirloin. I don't know any Italian before I make myself look silly is lago pronounced Yago? It would have to be Llago in Spanish, happen why they decided upon Diego.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrian, I know it's usual, but that's not the point. I don't have to like it is the point. And it will get worse before it gets better.

      I read that in Old Spanish it was spelled Yago.

      Delete
  4. Yes summer is well past us now. We have had several frosts and even a few quick snow flurries so Fall is easing past us and Winter knocking on the door. I enjoy the changing of the seasons but I'm not too crazy about the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I enjoy the changing of the seasons too, especially winter turning into spring and summer turning into fall. It's just winter I'm not real crazy zbout. One year when we were in Nebraska it got down to -33°F if I am remembering correctly, and that is not wind chill factor, that is degrees of temperature.

      I like the people in Nebraska but I don't miss the weather at all.

      Delete
  5. You must have known that one of the northern bloggers would remind you that you are not in any way suffering cold. Then again the southern blogger may wonder why I sit in the land of ice and snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Red, don’t get me wrong, I think snow covered landscapes are beautiful. i just don’t like to have to bundle up and get outdoors in ice and stuff.

    You are not currently my northernmost commenter as Red Deer is at 52°N latitude since Graham Edwards in Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis in Scotland is at 58°N latitude. However, you undoubtedly do hold the record with your former residence of Inuvik at 68°N latitude but you weren’t blogging from that location.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice blogpost Bob - even though I blushed like a beetroot when I saw my pen-name mentioned. Historically, perhaps the most significant "St James" is in north western Spain - Santiago de Compostela - the object of countless weary pilgrims - even today.

    Nice to see that the "greying out" fog has lifted from your illustrious blog. It's a miracle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding, not only is it a bra' brit moonlit nit tonit (November's full moon is just two days away), but it is also a pleasure to have you comment on my post. Whose, I'm not sure. (I'm kidding, of course. It is mine.)

      Delete
  8. I was delighted to read YP's comment about your blog's greying out having gone. I've been trying to move my blog to a platform that didn't involve the greying out but each has had other problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, along with your above comment I also received another from you on this post that I have not for the life of me been able to publish, so I have "cut and pasted" it here:

      "Graham Edwards has left a new comment on your post "Sumer is not icumen in ":

      We do indeed have the benefit of the Gulf Stream and, as virtually nowhere inhabited is very far from the sea, most of us feel the benefits of it."

      Thank you for both comments. I cannot imagine what is wrong with blogger or my email or my smartphone to cause such shenanigans. I think it is time to quote one of your own Scottish sayings:

      From ghoulies and ghosties
      And long-leggedy beasties
      And things that go bump in the night,
      Good Lord, deliver us!

      Delete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...