Sunday, December 12, 2021

Thanks a lot, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

...for writing the following poem in 1841:

The Rainy Day

The day is cold, and dark, and dreary;
It rains, and the wind is never weary;
The vine still clings to the mouldering wall,
But at every gust the dead leaves fall,
And the day is dark and dreary.

My life is cold, and dark, and dreary;
It rains, and the wind is never weary;
My thoughts still cling to the mouldering Past,
But the hopes of youth fall thick in the blast,
And the days are dark and dreary.

Be still, sad heart! and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all,
Into each life some rain must fall,
Some days must be dark and dreary.

Longfellow was born in 1807 and died in 1882, and in-between he wrote many poems that generations of American schoolchildren used to have to read and memorize portions of, including "The Village Blacksmith", "The Song Of Hiawatha", "Paul Revere's Ride", "Evangeline: A Tale Of Acadie".and the like. As I said, thanks a lot, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

It just so happens that today IS cold, and dark, and dreary, and if you cannot tell that this post is dripping with sarcasm. it is.

I liked Longfellow when I was younger ("Under a spreading chestnut tree the village smithy stands; the smith, a mighty man is he with large and sinewy hands...", "Listen, my children, and you shall hear of the midnight ridof Paul Revere; on the eighteenth of April in seventy-five, hardly a man is now alive who remembers that famous day and year...", "This is the forest primeval, the murmuring pines and the hemlocks...", "By the shores of Gitchee Gumee, by the Shining Big-Sea-Water, stood the wigwam of Nokomis, daughter of the moon Nokomis...", and so on, and so on). Nowadays I just find him irritating. Be thankful if you never had to commit his lines to memory because they would still be rolling around in the nether regions of your neo-cortex or your hippocampus or wherever it is that such things roll around.

Or maybe it's just that today is cold, and dark, and dreary; it rains, and the wind is never weary..."

Tomorrow is St. Lucy's Day, however, and I'm sure we'll all feel better after we walk around wearing long, flowing white dresses and lighted candles on top of our heads and singing "Santa Lucia." I mean, that's what I do every December 13th.

Don't you?

11 comments:

  1. I did have to memorize many of Longfellow's poems and I still remember large portions if not all of them. I had a teacher who recognized that I could memorize those long poems. I often recited them at programs for the parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, I remember having to stand up in front of all the parents and recite Longfellow's "I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day" and I'm sure it marked me/us for life.

      Delete
  2. We often heard Hiawatha at school in the days we played cowboys and Indians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasker, I'm glad to hear it. I think I remember former teacher of English Neil Theasby telling me on more than one occasion surprisingly, that he was not really all that familiar with American literature.

      Delete
    2. Tasker and you found that surprising.

      Delete
    3. I am also aware that the former English teacher was not familiar with Home Thoughts from Abroad by Robert Browning, taught throughout schools in England.

      Delete
  3. Bob, I've always enjoyed American literature, well since I left school and was able to choose what I read.
    White Fang is a favourite. I have read Longfellow but can't recall any.
    What has always impressed me is the accessibility of your text books. Our teachers for the most part seem to think making learning difficult makes them look better. When it doesn't, they lower standards to suit their abilities and disregard the students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrian, White Fang, I believe, is by Jack London who also wrote The Call Of The Wild. As for your last paragraph, see my reply to Tasker.

      Delete
  4. PS. Comment moderation is a real pain. Turn it off please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrian, as we are several hours behind you, when you comment in the middle of the night by our reckoning I simply cannot publish it until morning (mid-day by your reckoning) and I am sorry for that. But I do not plan to turn off comment moderation because it keeps trolls from putting things on my blog.

      Also, I am further delayed in recent weeks by the fact that I can no longer publish a commet or reply to one from my iPhone and have to be sitting in front of my desktop computer (I don't have a laptap) to release anyone's comments to the breathlessly waiting world. My desktop computer is in ouor bedroom and although my smart phone is always with me I do not spend the day in our bedroom. I am sorry for adding to your frustrations but it is what it is.

      Delete
    2. Fair enough. Can you try for a workaround.

      Delete

<b>Couples in show biz (part 2)</b>

Reader Emma Springfield in Iowa thought of two more couples in show biz: 60. Paul Hogan & Linda Kozlowski (his co-star in Crocodi...