Saturday, November 18, 2023

Miscellany

Solomon Grundy,
Born on Monday,
Christened on Tuesday,
Married on Wednesday,
Took ill on Thursday,
Grew worse on Friday,
Died on Saturday,
Buried on Sunday.
That was the end
Of Solomon Grundy.

Two recent answers on Jeopardy! that I knew but none of the contestants did include Albrecht Dürer and James Fenimore Cooper. The clues mentioned Praying Hands and the Leatherstocking Tales.

Rachel used the word "toff" in her post today. Since I had never encountered the word before, I did the following search:

toff definition

Below, verbatim, is the answer I received from a dictionary website that shall remain nameless:

toff meaning: 1. a rich person from a high social class. 2. a rich person from a high social class.

I am confused as to which meaning Rachel meant.

Unless I am mistaken, this Wednesday is the 60th anniversary of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. It was a cataclysmic event in our nation's histoey. I remember it like it happened yesterday.

7 comments:

  1. A toff is usually a well-born man who dresses well and doesn't lack funds - i.e. a well-heeled aristocrat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suggest you read a brief synopsis of the film I went to see and it will explain my usage. I have known many toffs in my life through work and home background. They are very good people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would understand Jabblog's description and agree with it. The 'dresses well' is important in the 'old' definition. It's not a word used these days in my experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most people our age remember exactly where they were when JFK was assassinated. I also remember the drum cadence of the funeral because that was all that was on TV for the week. I also remember Jack Ruby stepping out of the crowd to shoot and kill Lee Harvey Oswald.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is strange that Graham says it is not a word that is used nowadays. In fact to describe toffs it is used in many circles and me and a blogger who I won't name as he does not follow here often use the word in our exchanges. We both know many. Graham clearly does not frequent the right places. The film was absolutely about toffs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is strange that Graham says it is not a word that is used nowadays. In fact to describe toffs it is used in many circles and me and a blogger who I won't name as he does not follow here often use the word in our exchanges. We both know many. Graham clearly does not frequent the right places. The film was absolutely about toffs and really there was no better way to describe them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sixty years! My TG and I were talking about it last night. I was six, living in Louisiana, and also remember it as though it happened just yesterday. TG was eleven and living in Ohio. We both vividly recall being sent home from school early and walking into our respective houses to find our mothers sitting on the sofa, weeping, staring at Walter Cronkite on the television. Sixty years. It's mind-boggling. As an anglophile -- especially one who loves British books and shows and movies -- I am familiar with the word toff. Cool word. Good job with those Jeopardy answers. RIP Solomon Grundy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

<b>Couples in show biz (part 2)</b>

Reader Emma Springfield in Iowa thought of two more couples in show biz: 60. Paul Hogan & Linda Kozlowski (his co-star in Crocodi...