Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Thumb-twiddling time

It was north Georgia's coldest morning of the season this morning when I took Abby out to perform her necessaries. This morning's low temperature was 23°F (-5°C). Having put on a pea coat, a scarf, and a toboggan, I looked quite dashing, I thought, although no one was looking. After living in south Florida for several years, where the weather is always tropical, I was happy to move to Atlanta, which enjoys four actual seasons, none of them extreme in the way, say, Phoenix. Arizona and Fargo, North Dakota are extreme. Last winter we had only two hard freezss. The first occurred on Christmas Day. The second, which occurred just before the vernal equinox in March, turned 2023 into The Year Of No Gardenias.

By this afternoon it had warmed up to 53°F (11°C) with prospects of warm spell, cold spell, rinse, repeat happening with regularity over the next few weeks. Pneumonia weather, Mrs. RWP calls it.

As you have undoubtedly discerned, I have nothing of interest to share with you today.

Keep on keeping on. Things can only look up from this nadir of my blogging career.

This just in: The highest temperature ever recorded in Phoenix, Arizona was 122°F (50°C) and the lowest temperature ever recorded in Fargo, North Dakota was -39°F (-39°C).

10 comments:

  1. I didn't know that Georgia got thAT COLD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, in Blairsville, GA,, up in the mountains near the North Carooina border, it got down to 15. Yes, Georgia gets cold!

      Delete
  2. -39 makes our 'bitterly cold' seem quite mild by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jabblog, what do residents in the UK consider 'bitterly cold'?

      Delete
  3. here in Sydney, I regard anything below 10 degrees Celcius as bitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie, since Sydney's latitude south of the equator is nearly the same as Atlanta's latitude north of the equator, I assumed, apparently wrongly, that our weather was about the same as yours. It's a strange world on which we live.

      Delete
  4. I like the changing seasons. Now that I am older I feel the hot and cold more. Thank goodnes for furnaces and air conditioners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, necessity is indeed the mother of invention, so let's hear it for furnaces and air conditioners! furnaces and air conditioners, hip hip hurrah!

      Delete
  5. I lived in Atlanta for several years as a girl -- and in fact my TG and I were married there in 1979 -- and I can attest to the four seasons being solidly in place there. The ice storms! But those temperatures you mentioned for Fargo and Phoenix literally strike fear into my heart. I simply cannot. We have had one hard freeze this fall here in Columbia, South Carolina -- it got down to 26 a few days ago, probably the same day that you had your low temp in the morning. I was forced to turn on the heat. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lived for three years in Nebraska when I was in the Air Force, and I remember one winter in the 1960s when the temperature got down to 32 below zero. Now that's chilly! I suppose blogging has reached a new low when all we can talk about is the weather. Thank you, Jenny.

      Delete

<b>Couples in show biz (part 2)</b>

Reader Emma Springfield in Iowa thought of two more couples in show biz: 60. Paul Hogan & Linda Kozlowski (his co-star in Crocodi...