Wednesday, November 15, 2023

The Ides of November

Do you remember the song "Scarborough Fair" that Simon and Garfunkel sang several decades ago? When it runs through my head, as it sometimes does, I usually get the second line wrong. For some strange reason, instead of singing:

Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme


my brain remembers it as:

Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
Parsley, cheese, rosemary, and thyme


This glimpse into my daily life is not a lead-in to anything. I'm not going anywhere with it. I just felt like sharing it with you today. If you detect some deep psychological meaning or flaw in my make-up, please share the details with all of us in a comment.

Gene Simmons and all the members of Kiss, or Heath Ledger as The Joker in the Batman movie, now there are guys with the possibility of flaws in their make-up.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Moving right along....

Since many or even most of you don't seem to care for geography or quizzes, and especially geographical quizzes, today's Geographical Momennt (yes, we're going to have one) is not a quiz but a simple, straightforward presentation I call Obscure Countries And Their Obscure Capitals. The format is Country (Capital):

Uzbekistan (Tashkent)
Turkmenistan (Ashgabat)
Kyrgyzstan (Bishkek)
Tajikistan (Dushanbe)
Eswatini (Mbabane, Lobamba)
Azerbaijan (Baku)
Lesotho (Maseru)
The Gambia (Banjul)
Malawi (Lilongwe)
Tuvalu (Funafuti)

An alternate name for the preceding list might be Places I Never Heard Of or, a little more eruditely, Places With Which I Was Heretofore Unfamiliar.

If you haven't yet found something to be thankful for this Thanksgiving, be thankful I didn't ask you to match capitals to all 195 countries recognized by the United Nations.

Yea, verily.

I can't believe that the month is half over already and this is only my second post. There are just 40 days until Christmas, which fact should not give you merely pause but yet another reason besides the existence of this post to fear, as did Julius Caesar of old, the Ides of November.

Or something like that.

As Tigger always said, Ta Ta For Now.

4 comments:

  1. Remember me to one who lives there. She once was a true love of mine. Is that right? This was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in college, I had a friend who loved to enjoy afternoon tea. We fell into the habit of saying to one another, at some point during the morning when we had a class together and it was over, "Tea time's at two ten so ta ta till then!" The things you remember. I in fact prefer coffee but as long as there was a sweet roll with it, I didn't care what I drank. And not for nothing but I recognized ONE of those countries and its capital: Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. It's because my niece Gena LIVED THERE for over a year before she got married. She was teaching. It is a miserable place to live and I'm pretty sure she was glad to leave. She lives in South Carolina now. Much more better. And not for nothing but I greatly prefer "places with which I was heretofore unfamiliar" to "places I never heard of." xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh forgot to say, I am a solid Simon and Garfunkel fan so very familiar with Scarborough Fair. My mother used to love that song. My favorite song of theirs is The Sound of Silence but I'm partial to most of them, and have special fondness for America. Haunting lyrics xoxo

    ReplyDelete

<b>Couples in show biz</b>

...are more common than you might think. Here are some that come to mind: 1. Douglas Fairbanks Sr. & Mary Pickford 2. Florenz ...