Thursday, August 1, 2024

A new lease on life

I know there are a lot of things going on in the world right now. The Olympics in Paris. Twelve schoolchildren killed in northern Israel by Hezbollah. Retaliatory bombing of Beirut, Lebanon, by Israel. Leaders of Hamas assassinated in Tehran and Damascus. Joe Biden replaced by Kamala Harris in an apparent bloodless coup in the upper echelons of the Democratic Party without a single vote having beien cast for her in any primary election. Three little girls stabbed to death near Liverpool, England, while dancing to Taylor Swift's music.

However, please bear with me for one more post about myself and then I will blog about other things.

I am elated. I am ecstatic. I am still somewhat giddy at the wonder of it all.

i'm referring to the recent surgeries to remove cataracts from both of my eyes..

The great thing about having had surgery to remove cataracts from my eyes is, as you might expect, that I can see so much better, but I had no idea how much better it would be. It is hard to describe. It is rather like Dorothy leaving Kansas and arriving in Oz. I don't mean Australia (but here's a shout-out to kylie, Sue, and Helsie, anyway). I don't try mean that I now live in a place where scarecrows can talk, lions are cowardly, monkeys can fly, or witches melt. I mean it has been rather like going from a black and white world, an increasingly dark, drab, dim world, to a bright, beautiful Technicolor world. I didn't realize fully how poorly I was seeing. I could no longer read a newspaper. To use my smart phone or my desktop computer required me to put my nose about an inch from the screen, and the print kept fading into ever lighter shades of gray.

I feared that my worsening eyesight was due to the macular degeneration I've written about in other posts. It was not. It was due to the cataracts.

There is one small downside to having vastly improved vision. I can now see in the mirror clearly every wrinkle on my face, neck, and brow, and I don't need the mirror to see my wrinkly hands. They are not a pretty sight.

I feel sorry for Mrs. RWP having to look at me every day, although she says she is nor complaining.

I will tell you just what sort of person Mrs. RWP is. Yesterday I was wearing a pair of tan shorts that I hadn't worn since losing quite a bit of weight. They fit quite loosely in the waist and I had to keep hoisting them up. After about half an hour of hoisting I said, "My pants are about to fall off." Did she say, "Change into a different pair, then" or "Put on a belt"? No, she did not.

She said, "Don't stand in front of a window".

9 comments:

  1. Don't want to shock the neighbours, after all :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your wife! What a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In public she is actually shy and soft-spoken. I guess it's true that you can't judge a book by its cover. Thank you, Emma.

      Delete
  3. I had the same experience as you with cataract surgery, It was an amazing change. I also had 475 drops that were put in by the Micro Manager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a life-changing experience. You had a lot more drops than I did. The doctor must have used a different medicine. Thank you, Keith.

      Delete
  4. I've been known to walk about the house in my underpants. Just thought you might like to know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that is certainly fascinating, but it's a little bit too much information, Tasker. Nevertheless, thank you for commenting!

      Delete
    2. It's preferable, marginally, than walking about without underpants . . .

      Delete

<b> The US presidential election process explained </b>

I hope to explain how a US president is chosen without becoming hopelessly bogged down in minutiae (or, if you prefer, becoming bogged down...