Saturday, August 17, 2024

Avastin, Lucentis, Eyelea, Beovu, and Vabysmo

There have been plenty of successful business partnerships, mergers, and joint ventures one could name. Sears & Roebuck. Neiman-Marcus in Dallas. Mercedes-Benz. Daimler-Chrysler. Titche-Goettinger in Dallas. Carson Pirie Scott in Chicago. Goldman Sachs. Merrill, Lynch, Pierce, Fenner, and Beane which morphed into Merrill, Lynch, Pierce, Fenner. and Smith which eventually became just Merrill Lynch. Hewlett-Packard in Palo Alto, California.

There are also many individuals whose businesses became household names without benefit of partners. Henry Ford. J.C. Penney. R.H. Macy. Gimbels. John Wanamaker in Philadelphia. Charles Schwab. F.W. Woolworth. Harris Teeter. S.S. Kresge. Dare I say it, Donald Trump.

Some are still around, but many have passed off the scene and are only a memory.

Avastin, Lucentis, Eyelea, Beovu, and Vabysmo are not partners in a law firm. They are not a brokerage house or an automobile conglomerate or a giant department store or a chain of supermarkets. They are not breeds of goats (shout-out here to hilltophomesteader in Washington state). They are not the names of quintuplets in Venezuela.

No, friends, what they are are five different medications that were developed to treat macular degeneraton. Over the course of the past seven years, I have received all of them. Unfortunately, they are not available in pill form. Instead, they are injected into the whites of one's eyes via a sharp-pointed needle, the term for which procedure is intravitreously (as opposed to the possibly more familiar term, intravenously).

You probably could have lived your entire life without knowimng this information, but now you do. I predict that you will not forget it any time soon.

This has been another public service announcement from your roving correspondent, RhymesWithPlague of Canton, Georgia, USA.

You're welcome.

8 comments:

  1. Now I know it, but hope never to have to experience it, though I'm sure I'd prefer it to the alternative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't wish macular degeneration on anybody. Thank you, Janice.

      Delete
  2. I don't envy you having to have that done. Aging is cruel and not aging is crueler.
    I was reasonably certain Avastin was a blood pressure drug and I thought you were going to give us a run down of all your meds.
    There's always something to learn, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I gave you a rundown of all my meds, we'd be here all day. That's a bit of an exaggeration, actually, although the medicine cabinet does seem to get fuller with the passing years. Thank you, kylie.

      Delete
  3. What a barbaric way to treat a condition! I am so sorry to hear that you had to endure such injections. My eyes are watering just reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not so bad once you know what to expect, plus they do put several "numbing drops" (not sure what they are) in both eyes first. And it is much preferred to going blind. Thank you, Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed! I used to drive my Mother-in-Law to the local out-patients to receive her 'eye jab' and I am ashamed to say I could not bear the thought and never actually accompanied her into the room. Even tho' once she asked me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A voice from the past! I used to be squeamish at the thought of 'eye jabs' too, but it rapidly became a case of 'ya gotta do what ya gotta do'. Hope things are going well in New Zealand. Thank you, Kate!

      Delete

<b> The US presidential election process explained </b>

I hope to explain how a US president is chosen without becoming hopelessly bogged down in minutiae (or, if you prefer, becoming bogged down...