Monday, October 22, 2018

I am not Elvis Presley either

...(he was called the King) or Ruth Bader Ginsburg or George H. W. Bush or Maxine Waters or Prince Harry (he may never be King) or even Vladimir Putin.

In fact, of the approximately 8,000,000,000 (called eight billion in the U.S. and eight thousand million in the U.K. unless Yorkshire Pudding tells me they don't say that either) people living on this planet, I am not 7,999,999,999 of them.

Actually, I am three people, but not these three people:


They are my daughter Angela, her husband Blake on the right, and their son Sam in the middle. Sam is wearing his marching band uniform. The photo was taken on 'Senior Night' at Sam's high school's football game in Alabama last Friday. Some people in Alabama say, "Ah had a rot noss tom last Froddy not" but these three, being relatives of mine, don't, even if they did.

As I was going to say before I so rudely interrupted myself, the three people I am are me, myself, and I. Note use of the Oxford comma to help avoid confusion.

Not quite as impressive as, say, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, but it's what I am left with after all contraptions and appurtenances are stripped away. Let us examine us a little more closely.

Me is the objective case, and I can be quite objectionable at times.

My is the possessive case and I can be quite possessive at times also. (Myself is not the possessive case, but I don't have time to go into that now.)

Lastly, I is the nominative case, and I nominate myself for today's Completely Self-Centered Award.

At last the truth can be revealed. I am Mr. Wonderful. Send $10 USD (no stamps, please) for my book, Humility and How I Attained It.

Except for the three truly wonderful people in that picture up there, this has been another work of complete fiction from moi. I guess that makes me four people.

How many people are you, and who are they?

3 comments:

  1. I noted, with relish and appreciation, the Oxford comma.

    I am the sum of all my selves - the advantage of having MPD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I'm glad that at least one of you relishes and appreciates the Oxford comma.

      In the Gospel of Mark, chapter 5, Jesus asked the Gadarene demoniac, "What is your name?" and he answered, "Legion, for we are many."

      Delete
  2. I am usually only one person at a time. I have many different people ready to take over when one is not up to the task.

    ReplyDelete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...