Friday, October 19, 2018

I am not F. Scott Fitzgerald

I am on track, or so it appears, for 2018 to be a more productive year blogpost-wise than 2017. In all of 2017 I created 71 posts and with two-and-a-half months to go in 2018 I have already created 66 of them. Of course, in 2008, a whole decade ago now, I created 228 blogposts, but we won't go there. Changing horses in midstream, I could die tomorrow, and then where would that leave you?

High and dry, friends, high and dry.

I trust that will not happen, but one never knows, especially as one grows older.

Which all of us are doing, n'est-ce pas?

But of course.

There is no other way. No going back. Only forward.

Unless you are F. Scott Fitzgerald, whose novel The Great Gatsby ends with Nick, the narrator, contemplating Long Island, thusly:

Most of the big shore places were closed now and there were hardly any lights except the shadowy, moving glow of a ferryboat across the Sound. And as the moon rose higher the inessential houses began to melt away until gradually I became aware of the old island here that flowered once for Dutch sailors' eyes—a fresh, green breast of the new world. Its vanished trees, the trees that had made way for Gatsby's house, had once pandered in whispers to the last and greatest of all human dreams; for a transitory enchanted moment man must have held his breath in the presence of this continent, compelled into an aesthetic contemplation he neither understood nor desired, face to face for the last time in history with something commensurate to his capacity for wonder.

And as I sat there brooding on the old, unknown world, I thought of Gatsby's wonder when he first picked out the green light at the end of Daisy's dock. He had come a long way to this blue lawn and his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He did not know that it was already behind him, somewhere back in that vast obscurity beyond the city, where the dark fields of the republic rolled on under the night.

Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter—tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. . . . And one fine morning——

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.


Tell me in the comments who you are not.

10 comments:

  1. I move steadily forward. I still enjoy my memories too. It all keeps life interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, you sound strong and resolute. Would that we all were.

      Delete
  2. I am not far more things than I am.
    I am not an expert in anything.
    I am not a beauty.
    I am not a wit.
    I am not a politician.
    I am not (I think) a psychopath.
    Is that enough nots for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child, I'm glad you are not a politician or a psychopath (but I repeat myself), I'm sad that you are not an expert in anything (think harder), and I refuse to believe that you are not a beauty or a wit.

      Delete
  3. I'm not dead.
    I'm no athlete.
    Not at all tidy.
    Not quiet.
    Not a lady, whatever that is....

    Great question!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie, and those are some great answers, though you most assuredly are a lady. What do you think you are, a gentleman?

      Delete
  4. So often books are remembered for their starts rather than their ends. I think The Great Gatsby (Was her really every 'great' by the way) had both.

    "In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.

    “Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,” he told me, “just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.” "

    I am not just about anything Gatsby was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do hate it when I read a comment I have written and obviously failed to check (I was under a bit of pressure because we were going out).

      The words in brackets should have read (Was he really very 'great' by the way?)

      Delete
    2. Graham, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times; it is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife; call me Ishmael.

      Re not being Gatsby: Me neither.

      Delete
    3. I know 'Call me Ishmael' is regarded as one of the best openings of a novel. However I suspect it is just one of the most recalled because it is so short. I have never thought it a 'great' opening (although I accept I am in the minority).

      Delete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...