Sunday, July 19, 2020

I'll be seeing you

Don't be alarmed; this is not goodbye. I'm not stopping the blog. I'm not suicidal.

My new glasses arrived (after only five business days, I might add, not the 10 originally told to me), and -- wonder of wonders -- I can see! Better than I have seen in years. Well, okay, months.

The lenses are very thick, thicker than ever. Kind of like moi, I suppose. It's amazing how much and how rapidly my vision changed (deteriorated) in just two years.

I was kidding about me being thicker than ever. Actually, I have lost weight, about 40 pounds since June 2019. If you must know, my current weight is 198 pounds (British, 14 stone).

And a smattering of applause was heard from the peanut gallery.

It was nothing. Well, actually it was something, and what it was was a lot of hard work and stick-to-it-iveness. Pushing away from the table. Laying down the fork.

These new glasses are single-vision. No more bifocals or trifocals for me. The doctor said I could see so well up close using my eyes alone (fancy that!) that it would be a waste of time and money to give me bifocals. All I have to do now is whip the glasses from my face any time I want to read something up close.

'Tis only a minor inconvenience. Maybe I'll suspend them on a rope/twine/thread and hang them around my neck.

Time will tell.

In the meantime, don't make a spectacle of yourself.


17 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so glad you have your new glasses, and that you are able to see better.
    Congratulations on the weight loss too!
    Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, thank you! I hope we all have a good week and many more to come.

      Delete
  2. I was hoping you'd get them sooner than expected! How wonderful that you are happy with them. It must be great to get the improved vision back. I have had increasing difficulty with my vision due to a macular pucker. I can certainly understand the frustration vision problems cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I didn't realize how frustrated I was until the frustration suddenly evaporated.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful to read that your new glasses have arrived, and even better to read that they have made a signficant and positive difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, the manic side of my undiagnosed manic-depressive self couldn't be happier!

      Delete
  4. Well you have inspired me. Once I feel comfortable about having someone that close to my face again I'm going to get my eyes checked. I know I need new glasses. I'm happy for you being able to see well again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, my ophthalmologist's staff were spraying and wiping down everything in sight between patients. New glasses have lifted my spirits greatly. And as someone sang at Martin Luther King's funeral, if I can help somebody as I pass along, then my living shall not be in vain.

      Delete
  5. I hope you hear me groaning in reaction to your last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just on my way to bed last night when I saw that you had posted and read the title (which appears in my sidebar). O course I immediately had to find out what had happened but after seeing that you were okay decided to leave the rest until morning ie now.

    I'm delighted for you. Okay it is all relative but in the scheme of what could have been at least you can see and you are still with us.

    As for weight I'm not sure how many in the UK still use stones. I have used kilograms for years now and the medical services use kilos too (which is the only time I need to declare my weight). Just for the record my weight is a tad under 130 pounds ie 58.9 kilos or 9 stone 4 pound.

    I knew someone who had flip glasses. He only needed them for distance so when he was looking close up he just flipped the lenses up out of the way. They looked quite odd but that way he never mislaid them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, yes, I can see and I am still with us. Thanks be to God.

      I hope you are on the short side with aweight of 130 pounds. I was once 5'11" but have shrunk to 5'10".

      Flip-up glasses sound like just what I need after dealing with these glasses for a couple of days. Too late now, I suppose.

      Delete
    2. I am registered at the medical practice as being 5'10½" in 1975. I am now a sliver over 5'9". I'm just very lightly boned (and thin). I always have been although I'm lighter now than when I was a fit hill climbing 21 when I was 9½ stone. I didn't realise that until I had to convert my current weight this morning.

      Delete
  7. For some reason an image of Jesus healing blind Bartimaeus, by Johann Heinrich Stöver came into my head. It was created I believe in the 1860's. Make sure you look after your new glasses Bob. Don't break them, sit on them, leave them in a supermarket, accidentally bake them in your oven or allow a dog to run off with them clamped in his jaws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil, good advice. I will do my best to avoid the pitfalls you mentioned. Might there be others that I should be aware of?

      Delete
    2. Yes. If an alien spacecraft lands just outside Canton, give them an old pair of glasses - not your new ones.

      Delete
    3. Neil, you are nothing if not thorough.

      Delete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...