Saturday, January 16, 2021

Covid, Impeachment, Inauguration, Covid, Impeachment, Inauguration,...

...what to write about?

That's easy -- none of them.

Let's talk about Jeopardy! some more.

In the first "nobody buzzed in" moment of the post-Alex Trebek era on Jeopardy! that I knew the answer to, the answer was "What is a nightingale?"

The category, Words With Weather Words Inside, had included the answers What is Ukrainian? (weather word: rain) and What is barnstorming? (weather word: storm). The clue that drew silence from all three contestants was (not an exact quote) "The song of this bird is usually heard when the sky is dark" and included a sound clip of its song. It had to be nightingale (weather word: gale) and it was!

The next night there were three more:

What is Cunard? (the clue mentioned the Queen Mary)

What is Corvette? (the clue mentioned "sporty car" and Chevy)

Who is Secretariat? (the clue mentioned a horse I had never heard of and that it and this horse in 1973 were the only two to have run the Kentucky Derby in less than two minutes. In my mind I saw the old newsfilm of Secretariat increasing his big lead by several more lengths as he raced down the home stretch and neared the finish line, and the year 1973 seemed reasonable. Actually two of the three contestants did buzz in but gave wrong answers. One said Man o'War, who raced around 1920, and one said Seabiscuit, who raced in the late 1930s. They were obviously guessing but their time frames were completely off.)

I suppose I am addicted to watching Jeopardy! -- Hello, my name is Bob and I'm a trivia, I mean general knowledge addict. I do enjoy watchng it a lot but I will try to talk about it less on the blog. The last thing I want to do is drive you away.

Moving right along...

I have an announcement to make, but first I have an announcement to make.

Announcement #1 Your comments are always welcome here and I look forward to them eagerly. As the creator and editor of this blog, however, I reserve the right to decide not to publish your comment. And if I do publish your comment, I reserve the right to decide not to reply to it. In other words, you leaves your comments and you takes your chances.

Announcement #2: Oops, I see by the clock on the wall that our time has expired. The second announcement will have to wait.

I'm kidding. my second announcement is that our weather forecast is predicting snow for today.

Speaking of general knowledge, did you know that in 1920 The New York Times named Babe Ruth and Man o'War co-athletes of the year?
Note. A real trivia addict would know the name of the jockey riding Man o'War in the photograph. I have no idea who he is, but I do know that he is not Babe Ruth.

13 comments:

  1. Trivia is "my thing". I do think you are more trivial than I am. That may not sound nice. I mean it in the most flattering way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, that is one of the nicest things you have ever said to me.

      Delete
  2. How do you like Ken Jennings? Would you be happy if he were made the permanent host?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snowbrush, I think Ken is doing a good job but I don’t think the producers will choose him ultimately. He’s trying hard but he doesn’t have the warmth of Alex, in my opinion. It will be interesting to watch the succession of guest hosts until they decide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you are a trivia addict! But that is okay unless you let it totally consume 100% of your life. Knowledge is healthy.

    This is your blog and you have every right to do what you want with it. If anyone doesn't like it they don't have to stay. I know you as a kind and reasonable person. If a person leaves an unkind or trouble making response they don't deserve to be published. Just my opinion.

    Isn't snow a bit unusual where you live? We've had several snows so far with the most recent just a couple of days ago. It can be pretty but I don't like driving in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, this trivia addict and blogger thanks you for understanding and acceptance! Yes, snow is unusual here and it turned out to be a false alarm. No snow showed up today but the sky looked all day like it was going to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The programme 'Jeopardy' means nothing to me. I am totally useless at trivia and quizzes in general. My brain doesn't work that way. In New Zealand The Family was very much into quiz games. They had programmes for them and we all had a buzzer attached to the game box and whoever pressed the buzzer first got to answer. Things to which I knew the answer would come and go and even the simplest of things would allude me in the moment. The kids used to have a field day. Even "classical" music and sixties pop would desert me even though I would normally have no problem in a non-quiz situation. I always came last.

    I think Secretariat won a famous triple so I assume that was in 1973 although I may be miles off and I wouldn't have a clue which races or in which country or how I know that (assuming it's correct). I know ESB won a Grand National because all my family had a wee wager on it because my Uncle's initials were ESB. I was brought up in Liverpool where ESB was a legend anyway. Now that is trivia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeopardy questions aren't trivial so much as they only require a Cliff Notes level of knowledge regarding serious subjects.

      "Things to which I knew the answer would come and go and even the simplest of things would allude me in the moment."

      This is why Jeopardy contestants tend to be on the young side (I would guess that most of them are in their upper thirties). However, when it comes to questions regarding the era when I was young, they often miss answers that are obvious to me.

      Delete
    2. I will reply to both Graham and Snowbrush in my next post.

      Delete
  7. Great job on the trivia!
    Now I want to go on a transatlantic cruise. I have always wanted a Corvette stingray, and I have never heard a nightingale in person. I know nothing about horse racing.
    Haven't watched Jeopardy in a while, but it won't be the same without Alex. I don't think Ken is the best replacement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I have never been on a transatlantic cruise but I have been on a transatlantic flight, I have wanted a Corvette stingray since the year it was introduced, and I have never heard a nightingale in person but I have seen bald eagles flying in the wild at Freedom Pass inear Victoria, British Columbia, in Canada. It will be interesting to see how well other guest hosts on Jeopardy do.

      Delete
  8. Over here in Merrie Olde Englande I am addicted to an early evening trivia quiz show called "The Chase". Now regarding the rider of "Man O' War" back in 1919/1920, I have been racking my brains for the answer and I think it might be Clarence Kummer though I could be wrong. I am always the first to admit that I don't know everything. Interestingly, Kummer was only 31 when he died from pneumonia. That was in 1930 - I think it might have been December 18th but again I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yorkshire Pudding, everything I know about jockeys can be summed up in two words: Willie Shoemaker.

    ReplyDelete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...