Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Greek mythology tells us

...many things, not the least of which is that Athena sprang full-grown from the forehead of Zeus. I had a similar experience upon waking this morning. No sooner had I opened my eyes than the entire lyrics of a decades-old song called "I Love Paris" sprang out of my mind, which, when you think about the makeup of our physical bodies, is in my forehead:

I love Paris in the springtime
I love Paris in the fall
I love Paris in the winter, when it drizzles
I love Paris in the summer, when it sizzles
I love Paris every moment
Every moment of the year
I love Paris! Why, oh, why do I love Paris?
Because my love is here.


I have never been to Paris and my love is not now and never has been there. "I Love Paris" was followed almost immediately by another old song, as though someone somewhere was dropping quarters into a jukebox:

A foggy day in London town
It had me up, it had me down
I viewed the morning with alarm
The British Museum had lost its charm
How long, I wondered, could this thing last?
But the age of miracles hadn't passed
For suddenly I saw you there
And in foggy London town the sun was shining everywhere.


I have been to London only once, in March 1969, and it was not foggy.

I didn't tell you these things to impress you concerning my powers of recall. My memory is actually not so impressive. As a matter of fact, sometimes I can't remember things that are very important. What I remember, I remember. What I do not, I do not. What I know nothing at all about would fill libraries. Stadiums. Continents.

Let's move on.

What if the song "Gary, Indiana" that little Ronnie Howard sang in The Music Man were about another city? What if he had sung "Kansas City, Kansas" or "Charleston, West Virginia" or "Kodiak, Alaska" or "St. Cloud, Minnesota" or "Helena, Montana" or "Hannibal, Missouri" or "Waxahachie, Texas"?

In the overall scheme of things, it wouldn't make any difference at all except that Professor Howard Hill's encounter with Marian the librarian might have occurred somewhere else than right there in River City.

Please note that when you say "Waxahachie, Texas" the first syllable should not rhyme with "tax" and if it does you are saying it wrong. When you say "Waxahachie, Texas" the first syllable should rhyme with "hawks". I know this because I grew up in the town of Mansfield, just a few miles from Waxahachie. Let it further be noted that there is no 'T' in Waxahachie; it is not Waxahatchie. On second thought, maybe there should be a 'T' in Waxahachie because here's what a certain online encyclopedia that shall remain nameless has to say about the etymology of Waxahachie:

===============================================

Some sources state that the name means "cow" or "buffalo" in an unspecified Native American language. One possible Native American origin is the Alabama language, originally spoken in the area of Alabama around Waxahatchee Creek by the Alabama-Coushatta people, who had migrated by the 1850s to eastern Texas. In the Alabama language, waakasi hachi means "calf's tail" (the Alabama word waaka being a loan from Spanish vaca).

That there is a Waxahatchee Creek near present-day Shelby, Alabama, suggests that Waxahachie shares the same name etymology. Many place names in Texas and Oklahoma have their origins in the Southeastern United States, largely due to forced removal of various southeastern Indian tribes. The area in central Alabama that includes Waxahatchee Creek was for hundreds of years the home of the Upper Creek moiety of the Muscogee Creek Nation. Again, this would suggest a Muscogee Creek-language origin of Waxahachie. "Waxahachie", therefore, may be an anglicized pronunciation of the Muscogee compound word wakvhvce from the Muscogee words wakv (meaning "cow" derived from the Spanish vaca) and the Muscogee word hvcce (meaning "river" or "creek").

A second etymology that has been suggested for the name is insisted on by speakers of Wichita, the language of the tribe that used to live in the area, but now lives mostly around Anadarko, Oklahoma. Wichita people claim the name comes from their word waks'ahe:ts'i . It means "fat wildcat".

===============================================

I am suddenly reminded that 30 years ago I purchased some land that I still own here in northern Georgia at a place called Wauka Mountain and the locals told me at the time that Wauka meant "low-lying cow". Maybe that is connected to Waxahachine in some way.

As Mr. Spock used to say on Star Trek, "Fascinating!"

Perhaps you have never said "Waxahachie, Texas" and, with God being your Helper, you never will.

I have just one thing to say about that.

It takes all kinds.

I am sure of one thing. Just as the Bible tells us nothing at all about cable television, Greek mythology tells us nothing at all about Waxahachie, Texas or why it is called The Gingerbread City.

Fot that matter, it doesn't tell us why Smyrna, Georgia, is called The Jonquil City either, but that is a topic for another day.

If this post of mine doesn't make sense to you, why should today be any different?
P.S. -- Today is our oldest grandchild's 25th birthday. Greek mythology didn't tell me that either.

14 comments:

  1. There used to be an afternoon program on Saturdays that featured a character named Tillie Trollhouse. She sang Paris in the Spring. I loved it. As for Ronnie Howard's song about Gary, Indiana, Professor Hill gave him that song to sing because there no 's' sounds. The little boy was missing a couple of front teeth and had trouble with the sound. Helena, Montana, was the only one of your suggestions that fit the criteria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, so Berkeley, California would work but not Lexington, Kentucky. Denver, Colorado and Enid, Oklahoma and Mobile, Alabama would work but not Boston, Massachusetts.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday to your oldest grandchild! My oldest grandchild turned 25 last week too!

    I actually knew how to pronounce Waxahachie but I'm not sure how I knew - how's that for bad memory! I did spend a little time visiting Dallas on and off when I was young, maybe I picked it up there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, thanks for your ‘Happy Birthday’ to my grandchild and the same to yours! They do grow up so fast, don’t they? Glad you know how to say Waxahachie but do you know how to pronounce Bexar correctly? (It’s the county that is home to San Antonio.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't know Bexar. If I were to guess I'd say Baxar and probably be wrong!

      Delete
    2. Bonnie, it’s pronounced Bear, as though it didn’t contain an ‘X’ at all — or with a slight ‘H’ sound, the way some people say “Meh-hee-co” for Mexico.

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't even attempt to say Waxahatchie but I can confidently name Wagga Wagga, Wollongong and Woolloomooloo. I need help to spell Woolloomooloo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie, I missed them all by a country mile. I said WAH-guh WAH-guh, WAH-len-gong, and WOO-loo-MOO-loo. Not even close! G’dye, Myte!

      Delete
  5. Fascinating!
    I had never heard of Waxahachie, and I surely didn't know how to pronounce it. I did find the gingerbread victorian buildings pretty.
    Of course now I am singing Gary Indiana...Ronny Howard was the cutest little boy in the Music Man.
    Happy Birthday to your grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, I’m glad I helped brighten up your day! And I thank you on behalf of my grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Robert, you've excelled yourself this time. Your post reminds me of the man who got on his horse and rode off in every direction. ;-).
    As for Waxahachie, I'd never get that right. With my accent I'd never get the Texan pronunciation of hawk correct.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alphie, you are expert indeed at damning with faint praise!

      Delete
  8. Having read all that and then wondered why I realised that it was to remind me of the plethora of curious New Zealand place names from Waipu to Whykickamoocow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I’m sorry that you wondered why you read all that. Sometimes I wonder why I am writing something. I was sure you were pulling my leg with Whykickamoocow (or, more properly, Waikikamukau) but having looked it up, now I understand. But Waxahachie is a real place.

      Delete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...