Friday, February 12, 2021

Happy birthday, Abe, plus other info

On this day in 1809, Abraham Lincolm was born. When I was young, the nation celebrated his birthday and also George Washington's on February 22nd. Sadly, we don't celebrate either birthday any more.

Emma Springfield blogged today about getting her first dose of COVID-19 vaccine (Moderna version) and being in and out of the vaccinating venue in 20 minutes.

Braggart.

Not to be outdone or one-upped or something equally horrible (I can't imagine what that could be), Mrs. RWP and I would like to announce at this time that we also received our first doses of COVID-19 vaccine (Pfizer version) today. We arrived at the VV (see second paragraph) at 1100 hours (I love military jargon) and left, finally, at 1245 hours. But here's the kicker. Of that 1 hour, 45 minutes of our lives that we will never get back again, Mrs. RWP and I spent fully 1 hour, 30 minutes of that time waiting. The remainder of the time was spent filling out a form, actually getting the shot, and setting up the appointments for our second doses of the aforementioned vaccine on March 8th, which just happens to be the birthday of Beatrice of Castile, Queen of Portugal (1293); Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach (1714); Hannah Van Buren, wife of U.S. President Martin Van Buren (1783); Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. (1841); American dancer Cyd Charisse (1922); and British-Americam actress Lynn Redgrave (1943).

If you thought that was a lot of trivia, here is a POTWWYCNPL (piece of trivia without which you could not possibly live):

Cyd Charisse's real name was Tula Finklea.

15 comments:

  1. You will both get your second dose before me. My appointment is for March 11. That just happens to be the birthday of my aunt and uncle. Twins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, that’s because the interval between Moderna doses is 28 days but the interval between Pfizer doses is 21 days. Our second doses are scheduled for 24 days. Twenty-one days would have put us at March 5th.

      Delete
  2. So in all the waiting you brought up all the trivia! It's better than having a snooze like I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, actually I didn’t bring up the trivia until this evening when I was composing this post.

      Delete
  3. I am so happy to hear that you and Mrs. RWP have received your first vaccine! We are on two different lists and no luck yet even though they are doing our age group now.

    Yes, Happy Birthday to President Lincoln! I never did think it was right to group the various Presidents' birthdays into one day. They just did it to make a holiday off work. I wonder what those past Presidents would think about that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, Thank you. We were fortunate. Stay vigilant, check different counties’ health department websites, be willing to travel some distance, sign up as soon as you can when appointments are opened, the early bird gets the worm, I mean vaccine. At least that’s how it has worked in Georgia.

      It was LBJ who made the holiday changes.

      Delete
  4. Nice to hear that RB and EB received their MV at the VV on 02/!2/2021 (GB 12/02/2021). TTFN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, RB and EB did not receive MV at the VV. RB and EB received PV at the VV. It was ES who received MV at the VV. I hope I am deciphering your DaVinci-type code correctly. I’m thinking MV means Moderna vaccine so PV means Pfizer vaccine. If you meant something else, please enlighten me. The CCHD (Cherokee County Health Dept) closed its TV (testing venue) and its VV as inadequate to handle the crowds. The TV is now FBCW (First Baptist Church, Woodstock) and the VV is CDBC (Canton First Baptist Church). TTFN indeed. CU later, unless ICU first.

      In spite of what you may think, I appreciate you, my friend.

      Delete
  5. ARGHHHHH! My life will never be the same again. WHY did you have to disillusion me about Cyd Charisse's name? Which, I'm happy to say, I have forgotten already.

    I am very pleased that you have both been vaccinated. I have to say that our Health Board has got the vaccination down to a fine art. My appointment was for 1509. I arrived by car 10 minutes beforehand and a marshal explained exactly where I had to go. I arrived and was ticked off the list and given some papers to read and allocated a seat in the appropriate aisle. I waited for about 1 minute and was called up and asked various health questions and, of course, my DOB. I was duly jabbed with the OAZ vaccine and warned about driving for 10 minutes. As I've never had any reaction to a flu jab I just drove home. That was on the 21 January. I will get my second jab 11 or 12 weeks after the first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m glad your vaccination appointment went so smoothly. One might say like clockwork.

    Tula Finklea. Tula Ellice Finklea, to be exact.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you were able to get a vaccine. Hope you don't have any side effects. Maybe things will get back to some sense of normal soon.
    Typing on my phone since we had an ice storm and are without power. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy, I’m glad too! So far no side effects at all Can’t wait for something akin to normal to return to all of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tarnation. I just lost my comment! I did not know Tula Finklea was aka as Cyd Charisse. Smart marketing move!
    No vaccinations here until the beginning of March.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alphie, I wonder where lost comments go. I also wonder why Australia and Canada are not getting the vaccines sooner. I do not wonder why Tula Finklea became Cyd Charisse, though perhaps I should.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...