Thursday, February 18, 2021

Throwback Thursday, or Borne Back Ceaselessly Into The Past

Before I seriously attempt to do what I mentioned in the last post and stop looking backward forever (fat chance) or glorifying the past (probably not going to happen short of the grave), let us (us, forsooth) indulge ourselves (here's looking at you, kid) and adopt, for one day at least, one of Facebook's popular features, Throwback Thursday.

We shall do it, not with old photographs (although there are a couple over there in the sidebar) but with two articles for your reading pleasure or consternation (pick one, but not until you've read them) because it is important to stay busy (not to mention connected) during this pandemic, which government experts tell us on the one hand is winding down but which President Biden tells us on the other hand may last until Christmas. You may read one of them or both of them at your leisure, or neither of them. It's still a free country and the choice is up to you.

Where Did All The Saxophones Go?

The World's Most Misunderstood Novel

Any thoughts or comments? I mean besides that I should use fewer parenthesized asides.

6 comments:

  1. I read the saxophone article and I don't agree with it. I love saxophones and I don't think they have gone away but maybe stepped back a bit. Although I can't name them, I believe there are popular musicians that have saxophones in their background bands. Of course when it comes to jazz or blues the saxophone remains a very important instrument. When a person listens to music but does not actually see it being performed they often miss out on many different instruments that may be included in the performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I didn’t agree with the article either, but I know nothing at all about the ‘pop’ music scene. I didn’t recognize a single artist or a single title. I did recognize Kenny G and Charlie Parker. I would also have recognized Paul Desmond and Stan Getz and Gerry Mulligan. My son has a master’s degree from Eastman in jazz saxophone performance. I’m biased. I don’t follow pop music at all.

      Delete
  2. There is nothing like a good saxophone playing. I have a dear friend who is a sax player for a living. Needless to say I think the saxophone is alive and well and performing for my pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma, see my answer above to Bonnie. I am not qualified to critique the article because it takes one to know one and I am not one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saxophones hold a special place in my heart as both my husband and son played tenor and alto sax. Marching band wouldn't be the same without the sax. I enjoy jazz and love hearing Kenny G.
    I agree with the article in that everything seems to cycle and change and what was old is new again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, I played clarinet and alto sax back in my high-school band days. My older son, who has a master’s degree from Eastman in jazz saxophone performance, plays all the single-reed and double-reed instruments plus flute. I don’t know the ‘pop’ scene at all, which is what the article was about. I just wondered what others would think of it.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...