Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Oops, I left someone out

...so let me remedy that right now. Michael Landon, who played Little Joe on Bonanza and Pa Ingalls on Little House On The Prairie, was not the actor's real name. He was born Eugene Maurice Orowitz in Queens, New York.

Speaking of Little House On The Prairie,, Melissa Gilbert, the little girl who played Laura Ingalls, has been married to three husbands: Bo Brinkman (about whom I know nothing), actor Bruce Boxleitner, and Timothy Busfield, the red-haired actor who played Eliot Weston on the television series thirtysomething and Kevin Costner's brother-in-law in Field Of Dreams. Busfield and Gilbert moved away from the glitz and glamour of Hollywood and lived in a rural area near the small town of Howell, Michigan for several years. A couple of years ago, they moved to New York City, so they either are back in their right minds or have lost them completely, depending on your point of view.

Melissa Gilbert's younger half-sister, Sara Gilbert, played Darlene Connor on Roseanne.

Why do I know these things? I have no idea.

Last Night On Jeopardy! Department: The category was U.S. States. The clue mentioned that according to the song "This Land Is Your Land, This Land Is My Land" the land stretches from this state to the New York Island. The defending champion said "What is the redwood forest?" but the last time I looked at the list the redwood forest was not a state. The song does include that phrase in a later line, "from the redwood forest to the Gulf Stream waters". Another contestant answered correctly, "What is California?"

Last Night On Jeopardy! Department, Example 2: The category was 1821. According to the clue, this king, whose coronation occurred in 1821, was the fourth British monarch to have this name. I knew immediarely that it was George IV since George III reigned from 1760 to 1820. Two of the contestants didn't buzz in at all and the third contestant's answer, obviously a guess, was Edward. I say obviously because Edward VI (two edwards after Edward IV) was the son of Henry VIII back in the sixteenth century.

The Athena-full-grown-from-the-forehead song that greeted me upon waking this morning was another oldie:

Dear, I thought I'd drop a line
The weather's cool, the folks are fine
I'm in bed each night at nine
P.S. I love you

Yesterday we had some rain
But all in all, I can't complain
Was it dusty on the train?
P.S. I love you

Write to the Browns just as soon as you're able
They came around to call
I burned a hole in the dining room table
And let me see, I guess that's all

Nothing else for me to say
And so I'll close, but by the way
Everybody's thinking of you
P.S. I love you


I have a distinct memory of watching Your Hit Parade on a Saturday night and hearing Gisele MacKenzie sing that song. The other singers on the show every week were Dorothy Collins, Snooky Lanson, and Russell Arms.

Tonight on Jeopardy! all three contestants tried but failed to say the title of Dylan Thomas's poem "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night" correctly.

There is no rhyme or reason to this post that I can detect, but I am glad that I remembered to add Michael Landon into the mix.

I am going to make a sincere attempt to think less about trivia from the past and think more about the future instead. After all, as Criswell said at the beginning of the worst movie ever made, Plan 9 From Outer Space, "We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives."

8 comments:

  1. At least I had heard of Bonanza and can recall the figure of Little Joe who I seem to recall was a gentle and kindly giant.

    When I read law I had to remember all the regnal years. This was completely beyond me even though there was a mnemonic for it.

    Then I cam to PS I love You and realised that there are parts of that which are part of my knowledge banks. Somehow the last verse didn't gel with me. The one I knew was

    Nothing else to tell you, dear
    Except each day feels like a year
    Every night I'm dreaming of you
    P.S. I love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, the three Cartwright brothers on Bonanza were Adam (Pernell Robert’s), “Hoss” (Dan Blocker), and Little Joe (Michael Landon). The gentle and kindly giant you recall was “Hoss”, not Little Joe.

      Your last verse of “PS, I Love You” is a new one on me. I have never seen it before and can’t recall ever hearing those particular words. Not saying you’re wrong. Could there have been a British version?

      Delete
    2. Thanks for putting me right on the Bonanza front. I do recall that now you mention it. It was a long time ago.

      I have no idea how I new that last verse because I couldn't even recall anyone singing it never mind how I happened to know that verse. I've been trawling through the versions I can find and couldn't find 'my version' until, that is, I came across the Frank Sinatra version. I'm not a fan so I'm not sure how I might have heard it but it was, apparently, used by him. Who else used it I have no idea.

      Delete
    3. Graham, ah, well then, that explains it. He is known to have sung, “I did it my way!”

      Delete
  2. PS The quote forming the last sentence of your post will now going into my quotes bank.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know that Rudy Vallee recorded P.S. I Love You in 1934? I remember it being sung on Your Hit Parade. I loved that program although I really got tired of Shrimp Boats after the first million times they did it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emma, I knew P.S. I Love You was not on its first go-round in the fifties but didn’t really know how old it was. Hilarious comment about “Shrimp Boats” !!

    ReplyDelete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...