Wednesday, March 17, 2021

When I grow too old to dream, I’ll have this blog to remember

This is the last day I will ever be 79 years old.

If I wake up tomorrow morning, I will be 80 years old, I will have been alive on planet Earth for 960 months. I will have been breathing air for 29,220 days.

I arrived at the latter figure by multiplying 80 by 365 (29,200) and then adding 20 more days for the 20 leap years through which I have lived, beginning with 1944. Your trivia fact for today is that no leap day is added in century years (1800 and 1900, for example), unless the century year is divisible by 400 (2000, for example), in which case a leap day is added. If I had been born in 1841 and today were 1921, I would have been alive for 29,219 days since 1900 did not have the extra day that 2000 did.

As my dad used to say, put that in your pipe and smoke it. I have no idea what that means.

In English we say, "I am eighty years old" but what the French say translates to "I have eighty years". I find that very interesting. I have [am in possession of] eighty years, or I have [accumulated] eighty years. The French counting system is unusual to English sensibilities. Everything matches until you get to 70. The French don't say 70, however. They say 60 10 (soixante-dix) instead, then 60 11 (soixante-onze) for 71, 60 12 (soixante-douze) for 72, and so forth up through 60 19 (soixante-dix-neuf) for 79. Eighty, my new identifier, is not 60 20 though, it's "four twenties" (quatre-vingts). So instead of saying "I am eighty years old" they say "I have four twenties years" (J'ai quatre-vingts ans) all the way up to 99 (quatre-vingts dix neuf, four twenties and nineteen). If you should be fortunate enough to live to be a hundred, things get simple again and you revert to a single syllable, cent.

Here endeth the French lesson for today.

Thanks be to God.

It is St. Patrick's Day today but I don't care.

I thought of another "moon" song. It completely slipped my mind when I made a list of moon songs a few posts back. I'm not going to tell you its name right now, though. I'm saving it for the first post of my 80th year.

In the meantime, here are 11 more unknown (except by me) Jeopardy! answers:

Who is Albrecht Dürer?
What is Grambling State University?
Who is Morticia Adams?
What are gophers?
What is Acapulco?
What is the House of Lancaster?
What are Quartets?
What is Earthrise?
What is Defender of the Faith?
Who is Henry Clay?
What is Carrara?

The last nine were in a single episode of the program (British, programme). Just so you won't think the contestants were complete idiots, Quartets was in reference to "Little Gidding" being a part of T.S. Eliot's "Four ________", not "what do you call four people singing together". The clue for Defender of the Faith, "a title conferred on Henry VIII by Pope Leo X", seemed fairly obvious to me, but one contestant who didn't know British history guessed Head of the Commonwealth.

Until next time, when I will have 80 years, au revoir, mes amis..

18 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday for tomorrow.
    I hope that you (and I) are NEVER too old to dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sue. Do you know the old song that goes, “A dream is a wish your heart makes when you’re fast asleep”?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy almost Birthday! I hope you have a special day planned for tomorrow and top it off with cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, thank you! The celebration started last weekend at our daughter’s home in Alabama (first trip in a year) and continues tomorrow night with both of our sons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting to have almost 80 years. I like the French way of saying it, it does not have the word old in it. So Happy Birthday tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terra! In five more hours, it won’t be “almost “!

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday!! Hope your day is full of love and laughter and cake and ice cream. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, thank you! I’m hoping that too. Also, your comment served to remind me that I had not yet put the actual clue from Jeopardy! in the comments section of the preceding post, and I have now done so (better late than never).

      Delete
  7. Fascinated with your info on counting in French. I learned to count in French but never made these connections. Well, happy birthday young fella! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Red, alas, I am no longer young, but I am younger than you. But I am not sure just when fogeyhood begins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday Robert!
    Fogeyhood is a state of mind, not measured in years..
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alphie Soup, that is certainly good to know. I shall do my best to avoid it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many happy returns Bob. Have a drink with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrian, thank you. I’m guessing that “with” in this case means “at the same time as” — O to be in Scotland, now that Adrian’s there. It’s the thought and not the proximity that counts, right?

      I remember Johnny Carson on the old Tonight show saying to the singer Pat Boone, famous as a teetotaler and advocate of milk, “You don’t drink, do you, Pat?” and Pat Boone replied, “Of course I drink. I just don’t drink what you drink.”

      Delete
  12. Congratulations 0n your very special birthday! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannelle of Iowa, not to be confused with Eleanor of Aquitaine, thank you! You were one of this blog’s earliest commenters and you are still here! I am grateful people such as yourself exist.

      Delete
  13. Lá breithe shona duit. You have reached another milestone. Isn't it wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Emma, go raibh maith agat! It is wonderful. Never thought I would make it this far.

    ReplyDelete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...