Monday, August 16, 2021

More fluff

When I told you in the previous post that the 1970s television series Rhoda was the first spin-off from The Mary Tyler Moore Show, I meant to tell you that two other series also had their origin in The Mary Tyler Moore Show. One was a comedy and one was a drama. Can tou name them?

One character in Mary's world who didn't get a series of her own was Sue Ann Nivens, the star of "The Happy Homemaker" program on the fictional WJM-TV in Minnapolis. Sue Ann was played by Betty White, who will be 99 years old on January 17, 2022 (Note. I had to look that fact up because I don't carry celebrities' birthdays around in my head; I just knew she was very old). Betty White went on to play Rose Nylund on The Golden Girls and Elke Ostrovsky on Hot in Cleveland.

Folks, that knowledge and four or five dollars American will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, where they call Small Tall, Medium Grande, Large Venti, and Extra Large Trenta. For your information, venti and trenta mean 20 and 30, respectively, in Italian, and they are the number of ounces of liquid refreshment your money can buy at Starbucks.

I maintain that this blog is not mere fluff; it is educational.

Today's Fun Fact: Back in the 1980s the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Manila in the Philippnes, whose name was Jaime Sin, was elevated by the Pope to a higher position in the church's ecclesiastical structure and became Cardinal Sin.

It's true.

It's time to close as I can't top that one.

10 comments:

  1. I didn't know about Cardinal Sin. However I do know that the other two spinoffs from Mary Tyler Moore's show were Phyllis and Lou Grant. Other stars from her show went on to star in other series as different characters. What a cast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good, Emma, for knowing The other spin-offs were Phyllis and Lou Grant! I wonder how many others will know that.

      Delete
  2. Starbucks' italianised terms for cup sizes do not operate in the company's British branches. Here we just say "small", "medium" or "large". "Cardinal Sin" would be a good name for a pole dancing venue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil, I am surprised to learn that Starbucks sizes in the UK are just small, medium, and large. I wonder why they chose Italian names here.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed The Mary Tyler Moore Show and occasionally watched Rhoda, Lou Grant and Phyllis. As Emma said, these actors went on to star in many other good shows. The Mary Tyler Moore Show always reminded me of That Girl which was on in the 60's. That was a favorite of mine at the time.

    I did not know about Cardinal Sin. How interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I enjoyed Marlo Thomas in That Girl also. Hard to believe it was more than 50 years ago.

      Delete
  4. Hilarious fun fact about Cardinal Sin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do write an educational blog except I don't think I have ever needed any facts I learnt here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. kylie, not any? Ever? All the air has gone out of my balloon.

    ReplyDelete

<b>How’s that again?</b>

Tonight on Wheel Of Fortune when host Pat Sajak was eliciting introductory remarks from each contestant at the beginning of the program, o...