Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Stockholm memories, scattered and smothered

First things first, or Loose Ends Tied Up While-U-Wait Department:

I arrived at Arlanda airport in Stockholm early in February 1969 without a coat but my condition did not last long. On my first day at the IBM building in Lidingö I met the colleagues with whom I would work for the next month. There was Herman Holm who managed the department, Conny Evborn (Conny is a man's name in Sweden), Lars-Öve Hultgren, another Lars whose last name I don't remember, and Gunnar Göhl (pronounced Goo-nar Yul). All of us were under 40. Gunnar spoke to his wife by telephone and then invited me to his home for dinner that evening. When Gunnar and his wife realized that I didn't have a warm coat with me, they let me use one of Gunnar's coats for the entire month I worked in Sweden. I returned it to him a month later with profuse thanks for their generosity.

Gunnar's wife, whose name I also do not remember, helped me learn a few more Swedish words. She said upon greeting me, "So you work with elvah trettio too?" and I, uncomprehending, cast a quizzical look at Gunnar. "Eleven thirty," he explained, and I realized his wife was referring to the IBM 1130 system I had come to Sweden to learn more about. I made a mental note to learn numbers in Swedish as quickly as possible, as well as how to make change and how to tell time, and I did. Those things are almost as important to know as how to find a toilet.

Knowing that Gunnar's wife also worked outside the home (not that common in the 1960s), I asked her what she did and her reply sounded like "I am Jeannie Kellogg," which drew more blank stares from me. I asked her to say it again, only slower. I listened very closely and heard "jee-nee-co-log." I made a gesture indicating I still did not understand what she did for a living. Only when she told me she was a doctor for women did the light dawn. Gunnar's wife was a gynecologist! This was probably the most embarrassing, awkward moment of my month in Sweden.

I remember going to the cinema one evening to see Franco Zeffirelli's new film Romeo and Juliet. The signs out front said Romeo och Julia. It was in English with Swedish sub-titles, and although I enjoyed the film it was a little strange to see Shakespeare's words in Swedish.

I remember watching episodes of the American program The High Chaparral on the TV set in my hotel room. Like Romeo och Julia, it was in English with Swedish subtitles. It was a western, set in Arizona in the 1870s, and it featured both Anglo and Mexican characters. It was a bit jarring to hear someone say "Si, señor" and read the Swedish equivalent (not "Jawohl, mein herr" exactly, but something close to it) displayed on the bottom of the screen

One afternoon Herman Holm invited me to join him for an evening meal and offered to drive. He had learned that I was a pianist and organist, and he stopped at the Lutheran Church he attended to show me their pipe organ. When he asked if I would like to play it I jumped at the chance [this is an Americanism meaning I said "Yes, definitely!" with enthusiasm; no actual jumping occurred]. The instrument was more than 100 years old. The keys one would expect to be white were brown, and the keys one would expect to be black were white. I think I played the old hymns "Holy, Holy, Holy" and "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" (Martin Luther's Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott) but I could be mistaken; memory is a strange thing and can play tricks on you. After dinner he delivered me to my hotel on Strandvägen in the Östermalm section of the city. Strandvägen is a broad avenue alongside a major canal. I told you in an earlier post that Stockholm is called "the Venice of the North".

Stockholm is about 300 miles south of the Arctic Circle, and at the time of year I was there daylight lasted from about ten o'clock in the morning (klockan tio) until three or four o'clock in the afternoon (klockan femton, klockan sexton using a 24-hour clock). The place probably would have seemed cheerier, less dreary, in June or July when there is much more sunlight, but I am glad to have had the experience I had.

I visited such places as Drottningholm and Konserthuset and Hötorget and Kaknästornet and Stadhuset and Gamla Stan, each of which you may look up for yourself if you are curious. One day I witnessed the changing of the guard at the Royal Palace, and one day I went shopping at NK (pronounced En-Ko), an abbreviated way of referring to Nordiska Kompaniet, the big department store, where I bought Swedish toys for my children and had six crystal water goblets (Kosta's Gustav VI Adolph pattern) shipped home for my wife in Florida. Fortunately, they arrived in perfect condition.

I left Sweden a bit poorer, but also quite a bit richer.

12 comments:

  1. It must have been a wonderful experience over all. I will certainly remember Jeannie Kellogg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma, having once met her, she is very hard to forget!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting trip! Did you have much difficulty working with others that spoke a different language, or did they also speak English? How wonderful to get to play a 100 year old pipe organ. I did look up the places you listed that you had visited. I think I would most enjoy seeing Gamla Stan - the old town. It's wonderful you got to visit such a city as a part of your job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, all Swedes speak perfect English with a delightful Scandinavian accent; they are taught it in school from an early age. I am glad you looked up the places I visited. Drottningholm is more imposing in person than pictures of it seem to convey, and quite beautiful. Konserthuset is the concert hall where all Nobel prizes except the Nobel Peace Prize are presented; the Peace Prize is presented in Oslo, Norway. I hope you found a YouTube video of the changing of the guard and enjoyed 15 minutes or so of band music with a lot of marching around and milling about. The best view of Stockholm is from the observation deck at Kaknästormer. I’m glad that you enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can really relate to this. I was sent to Nokia on the science park out at Kista and they put me in a hotel there, but during my time there they took me into Stockholm and it really is a lovely city. One other thing I remember is that overseas guests were even the more welcome if they followed their instructions to bring in the maximum amout of duty-free alcohol, preferably single malt scotch. Anything alcoholic was extremely expensive at Swedish prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasker, in the years after I returned to the U.S., the IBM Nordic Lab facility on the island of Lidingö (where I worked) was converted into a hotel. Today IBM Sweden (IBM Svenska AB) has its headquarters in Kista.

      P.S. - Did you know that the SAS (Scandinavian Airways) and the SAAB automobile company are (or maybe were) the same company? SAAB stands for Svenska Aeronautica Aktibolaget. That last word is similar to “Incorporated” or “Limited” and is commonly abbreviated AB (see IBM Svenska AB in the previous paragraph), hence Svenska Aeronautica AB or SAAB makes both jet engines for airplanes and gasoline engines for automobiles. Just another bit of trivia, which may not be accurate in every detail, brought to you by me, rhymeswithplague.

      Delete
    2. Tasker, a second P.S. - I don’t know how it is nowadays, but back in the days I worked for IBM alcohol was forbidden, verboten, or as the Swedes would say, förbjuden. The founder and CEO, Thomas J.Watson, was a teetotaler and no alcohol was allowed on company premises. If an employee ever was foolish enough to cash his earnings check in a bar, he was fired. This policy was finally changed many years later. A company rep was allowed to drink with a client or prospective client if not doing so would jeopardize a sale, but that had to be the rep’s last customer contact that day. I don’t know if the prohibition ever applied worldwide but I rather doubt it.

      Delete
    3. I didn't know any of that. I always tried to be otherwise engaged when the Swedes came to England and wanted to go out drinking. Mind you, the Finns were worse.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing your memories of Sweden with your readers. Clearly, those experiences made a mark because you can recall fine details about the visit fifty two years later. Have you still got the crystal goblets that you arranged to be sent to Ellie in Florida?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neil, the crystal goblets have been displayed with our fine china for 52 years now. I have been told that I have an excellent memory, but there are plenty of things I have forgotten. I would tell you what they are if I could, but I cannot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I expected I thoroughly enjoyed your story of your time in Sweden. It's the little bits and pieces that make stories like that so interesting. I hope that you used the goblets. I still use glasses that my parents were gifted as engagement presents. So far, delicate though they are, they have all survived. If one were to get broken then at least we have admired them and enjoyed drinking out of them for the best part of a century.

    Such experiences are invariably enriching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I’m so glad you enjoyed this post; I wondered if anyone would. We still have all six goblets but have not used them very often. I’m toying with the idea of creating making my Sweden experience into a trilogy/triptych and creating a post about my return trip to the U.S. (it included an overnight stay in London).

      Delete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...