Saturday, February 5, 2022

A progress report, or dots and dashes are not always Morse code

In a post last month entitled "I, polyglot" I reported that I had begun trying to learn to read Hebrew. At that time I had completed four video lessons out of a total of 11 in an online course. Today I'm going to give you a progress report.

I'm still trying, but my learning rate has slowed a bit. It has not become moribund yet; it is just moving along at the pace of molasses (British, treacle). Specifically, I have now completed six of the 11 video lessons. I know, pathetic, isn't it? I will get there eventually, or it may be more accurate to say that I intend to.

In my defense, I have gone back and reviewed the first six videos several times to make sure the information is emblazoned in my brain. I tend to go a little too fast because I am eager to get on with it, and instead of the new knowledge sinking in I find that what I thought I had learned has gone with the wind.

There is a famous movie title hidden in the preceding paragraph. Finding it ensures your continued eligibility to be our grand prize winner. No purchase is necessary.

I shall now go on at length about why Hebrew is so difficult. For one thing, the letters look nothing like ours, and many of them look like one another. For another thing, Hebrew is read from right to left instead of from left to right, so the back of the book will be in the front and the front of the book will be in the back. If you can't comprehend what I'm trying to say, it doesn't matter. Just keep reading.

You may remember that I ended a recent post with the phrase "I remain yr obdt svt" in the same way people ended business letters in the Victorian and Edwardian eras. If you managed to interpret the last part as "your obedient servant" you begin to understand the biggest problem involved with learning Hebrew. In written Hebrew, both ancient and modern, there are no vowels. It's hard to know how to pronounce words, or even to know what the words are, when there are no vowels UNLESS you already speak the language.

That's why native speakers of English can see that "yr obdt svt" is "your obedient servant" but non-native speakers might scratch their heads. Little boys in Christian Sunday Schools often choose the shortest verse in the New Testament, John 11:35, to fulfill their assignment to memorize a Scripture verse each week. Here is what that verse would look like if English had no vowels:

JSS WPT

Here's another verse with which you may be familiar. Can you read it without the vowels?

N TH BGNNNG GD CRTD TH HVN ND TH RTH


Wouldn't it be helpful if there were some way to indicate vowels? Of course it would!

JeSuS WePT

iN THe BeGiNNiNG GoD CReaTeD THe HeaVeN aND THe eaRTH

Between 1,500 and 1,000 years ago, a group of Hebrew scholars in the Palestinian city of Tiberias -- they are known as Masoretes -- devised a way to show non-speakers of Hebrew how to pronounce the Hebrew words in the Old Testament by adding a system of dots and dashes (mostly dots) placed strategically over, under, and near the consonants of the Hebrew Bible.

Here is what a passage from the Hebrew Old Testament (Tanakh) looks like with the Masoretic vowel indicators added:


The first sentence (first two lines) translated into English is "Hear, O Israel: the LORD our God, the LORD is one". One of the most well-known passages in the Hebrew Scriptures, it is found in the sixth chapter of the book of Deuteronomy.

A transliteration of the Hebrew line is "shema yisrael (adonai) eloheinu (adonai) echad" but that is a little misleading. The word adonai does not appear in the text. Adonai means "the LORD" and is always used as a substitute for the four-letter word יְהוָה (YHWH), which is really unpronounceable because it is more like the sound of inhaling and exhaling (the living God, remember?). You can see, then, how a word like YHWH became YaHWeH by others even though it is never spoken in Judaism. And that word morphed into the English word Jehovah after the letters J and V were added to our alphabet in the Middle Ages.

A historical note: When Moses asked the voice speaking to him from the bush that burned but was not consumed what its name was (so that he could tell it to the Israelites) the voice said יְהוָה (YHWH) which has always been translated as "I am that I am". As I said, observant Jews never utter this name because it is considered too holy; they say adonai (LORD) instead. In an English sentence they write G-d instead of God.

Things get complicated very rapidly when a person is trying to learn Hebrew.

I'm just saying.

8 comments:

  1. Well I certainly had no problems with the English without vowels. I think I'll leave the Hebrew to those who speak it and those who have Grt Expcttns.

    We have molasses and treacle and then golden syrup as levels of liquid sugar refinement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, what if a person has Pckwck Pprs or Dvd Cpprfld instead of Grt Expcttns?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Tasker, I can't tell whether you are appalled or impressed. Also, your comment proves that if English had no vowels it would pose problems for translators. What you said would be "Gd Gd!" which might mean "Good God" or "God Good" or "Aged God" or "Goad God" or "Egad, God" or something else -- you see the difficulty inherent in such a system.

      Delete
  3. And at an elderly level it's good advice to learn another language. You impress me with what you've learned. keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I agree, we have to keep the gray matter stirred up as we age. The alternative is not attractive.

      Delete
  4. Gd lck. S fr s m cncrnd y r bttr mn thn m Gng Dn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, reading your comment reminded me of the following old joke:

      Man: Do you enjoy Kipling?
      Woman: I don't know, I've never kippled.

      Delete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...