Monday, March 14, 2022

Wait, what?

I know and you know that it has been more than a week since I posted anything on this blog, but I won't hold it against me if you won't. Actually, I won't hold it against me even if you do. I do apologize (British, apologise) for leaving you, my readers, few though you may be, high and dry for that length of time. I trust that you managed to find sustenance elsewhere.

Little things bug me, things that wouldn't bother others at all. For example, our pastor has referred two or three times in the past few months to "Francis Schaeffer's book How Then Should We Live?" when that is not the title at all. The title is How Should We Then Live?, a little thing, to be sure, but it bugs me.

There is someone to whom I am related by marriage (it is not Mrs. RWP) who wished a friend on Facebook a happy birthday, congratulating said friend for "completing another trip around the moon." No, no, no. We don't go around the moon, the moon goes around us. We go around the sun. Again, a little thing, but it bugs me.

Am I perfect? No way, José. I make plenty of mistakes. Somehow, though, it is easier to spot the mistakes of others than one's own. Jesus addressed this all too human tendency, telling us in the Sermon on the Mount to remove the beam/log/plank/telephone pole/railroad tie from our own eye first and then we would be able to see clearly to remove the mote/speck/cinder/eyelash/grain of sand in our neighbor's eye.

So far I have managed to restrain myself and not correct our pastor or my relative. I intend to keep it that way.

In the overall scheme of things, these things are not important. Invasions, bombings, fleeing refugees, pandemic diseases, these are the important things.

What little things bug you that aren't worth mentioning to anyone?

10 comments:

  1. I used to be bothered by many little things like you mentioned. I have slowly been training myself to let go of the little things that bother me for three main reasons: 1. I'm just stressing myself unnecessarily. 2. There are indeed many more important things to be concerned with these days. 3. Life is just too short!

    Notice I said I am slowly training myself. I still let some little things bother me. An example would be seen when I am driving. It still bugs me when drivers do not use their turn signals! (especially when I see the police not use them!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I like your three reasons very much. That said, what bugs me about police is that they often turn on their lights and siren just to get through an intersection and then turn them off and resume normal driving. It's a way of saying "I'm too important to wait in line until the light changes like other people. I not only am the law, I'm above the law."

      Delete
  2. Interestingly if they are not worth mentioning to anyone then I'm in a bit of a quandary. As it is I'm in a bit of a quandary anyway. Having spent the last few days actually flying around the country trying to get clearance to get my procedure done on Thursday, I am no nearer getting that clearance. C'est la vie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I sincerely hope you get clearance for your procedure to be done on Thursday and that Ce n'est pas la vie.

      Delete
  3. I just don't look for mistakes. I look for what is good and run with it. Sorry to rain on your party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am disappointed in you, Red, that you have misjudged me so much as to think I go looking for mistakes. I don't. They come to me, all unsought. To be aware when one has been made is not to have gone looking for it. The miraculous part is that I hold my tongue in such moments. You didn't rain on my party at all.

      Delete
  4. "could care less"
    "forgot it at home"
    the autocorrect "defiantly" instead of "definitely" which is so pervasive some people don't even know it's wrong

    I'm glad you don't correct your pastor, my parents do that and it kills me every time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie, those are good ones. And we never want to be our own parents.

      Delete
  5. Hi Bob!! Hmmm. I think the use of the word 'voila' (often seen as wa-la) and then probably the horrid changing of 'whoa' to woah bother me often in reading. In 'real life', I am stricken that SO many people bring their phones to a get-together or even a few minutes over coffee and spend all their time with it in hand, checking it oh-so-often for what must be terribly important information. I liked it better when phones stayed home, tethered to their moorings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, wa-la and woah bug me as well, although they are not nearly as upsetting as, say, the bombing of Kyiv. I will remain mum on the subject of smart phones as they have their good points and their bad points.

      Delete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...