Saturday, April 30, 2022

Friday’s no-buzz-ins on Jeopardy!

...that I nonetheless knew:

What is Sugar Loaf?
Who is Pepin?

Can you tell me (without Googling anything) the clues that resulted in these two responses?

My dad used to say some strange things, such as "Fingers were made before forks" and "Wish in one hand and spit in the other and see what you get the most of" and "put your hand on your 'huh?' and see if your heart's beating". What strange things did your dad say?

He also said that "Hesky hokey damey, hubisku" meant "Nice girl, give me a kiss" in 'Bohunk' but Google Translate is of no help whatever.

Tomorrow being May 1st, it is 12 days until what would have been my dad's 116th birthday. Maybe I suffer from a sort of seasonal affective disorder where he is concerned. Who is to say?

This post makes no sense at all, but I'm going to publish it anyway. Why should today be any different?

11 comments:

  1. Did our Canadian girl win on Friday? I'm too afraid to look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she did! Her name is Mattea Roach and she has won almost $500,000 USD to date. And welcome to the blog, Miss Kim!

      Delete
    2. We're so proud of her here in Nova Scotia since this is where her family lives :)

      Delete
  2. I've been absent again but I have read your last few posts and caught up.

    I don't recall my Dad having said any of those things although "Fingers were made before forks" is familiar to me. My Dad was very strict about table manners so unless I was trying to eat some fruit on a picnic I can't imagine him using the first saying. The other saying mean absolutely nothing to me,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, you have been missed. I am not commenting as much of late of other people's blogs but I continue to read them faithfully. My dad, I'm convinced, was one of a kind.

      Delete
  3. Your Dad's saying are well worth publishing. It's a good way to remember him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I think so too and that's why I published them!

      Delete
  4. I can't remember what my father used to say. He died in 1979 when he was 66 years old - after just one year of retirement. I remember him as a kind, thoughtful man who loved me and gave much of himself to the village in which I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil, my father died in 1967 at the age of 60, two years before he could have considered retirement. That was even longer ago than the statistics you cited and I remember a great deal of what he used to say. I'm certain that your father said a geat many important things. Were you listening? Perhaps you were out on one of your three-hour hikes.

      Delete
  5. My father was killed when I was a baby, but my mum had some phrases that I could never quite get my head around, one of which was addressed to me when I was climbing a tree or a wall without her approval; "If you fall and break both your legs, don't come running to me for sympathy!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I'm so sorry you didn't get to know your father. Your mother had your best interests at heart and was stating the obvious as you wouldn't be able to run at all! Still, it makes a child wonder. My mother was always saying things like, "Faint heart ne'er won fair maid" and "A soft answer turneth away wrath" and "There but for the grace of God go I".

      Delete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...