Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Everybody doesn’t know what everybody knows

I have written three very long posts since the middle of last month and ended up discarding all three. They were hopelessly boring and the last thing I want to do is bore you.

So I will just wing it today with a short post before you forget about me altogether.

I continue to watch Jeopardy! each weekday evening and I continue to be amazed that people smart enough to be on that program do not know stuff that everybody knows. Here are the latest two mind-bogglng examples:

Nobody knew that the song that contains the lyrics "you may see a stranger across a crowded room" is "Some Enchanted Evening" from South Pacific. I'm sure that Ezio Pinza and Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II are all spinning in their graves.

And nobody knew that the name by which Cape Canaveral was known from 1963 to 1973 was Cape Kennedy. I mean, really?

I guess I shouldn't be too hard on the younger crowd. At 81, I am obviously a child of the 20th century.

12 comments:

  1. Don't fret yourself. All my posts are boring, I don't let it worry me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrian, your posts are not boring. Most of them are extremely insteresting, in fact. The fact that I can't understand some of them is beside the point.

      Delete
  2. Well using the Edwards Quizometer those are off the scale at the easy end so even I - the worst quiz contestant ever - could have answered them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, in some areas you are quite cracker-jack.

      Delete
  3. True wisdom is the ability to bore everyone else to death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasker, au contraire, true wisdom is the ability to know when to keep one's mouth shut.

      Delete
  4. I write loads of posts that I never publish Bob and then I write a a substitute and publish. Some days I publish the unpublishable and people say they like those sort of posts but then you never quite know how they will be accepted. We have Pointless here (a quiz) and similarly the clever young university ones studying to be doctors and accountants and solicitors never know the general knowledge questions and the oldies do and then go on to win. I always give any young ones that get through to the final, if it happens, a round of applause from my living room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, it must be the same the world over. Just when we think we have become superior to the numbskulls, however, we pass off the scene and they take over. All of our wisdom (well, a lot of it) passes into oblivion. I will stop before I make myself depressed.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know either of those important bits of trivia, though I generally think I have good general knowledge.
    I'm glad you are a keeper of knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie, I bet you know a lot of Australian things about which I don't have a clue.

      Delete
  6. There is as much ignorance around as absence of curiosity. Occasionally, I observe hopeless contestants on TV quiz shows and wonder what on earth made them apply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil, whenever I say 'curiosity killed the cat' Mrs. RWP says 'finding out brought it back'. No one else I know says that. It must be a North Carolina thing.

      Delete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...