Thursday, November 10, 2022

Word Salad #17,643

I mentioned in the previous post that people who live in Missouri but call it Missoura may have IFNCSCE (Indiana/Florida/North Carolina/South Carolina Envy), a malady I invented.

Today I am asking my many readers (no snickering, please) to chime in regarding the correct way to pronounce IFNCSCE. Here are four options from which to choose:

  1. iffen-kiss-key
  2. if-nick-sicky
  3. eye-fences-see
  4. eye-fink-skee

Which do you like best? If you don't like any of those, come up with a pronunciation of your own and share it with us in a comment.

Malapropism Of The Week (said twice during a single nationally televised newscast): "That really resignated with me."

Today is supposed to be very windy around here, and tomorrow we may be getting the rainy remnants of Nicole, the storm that made landfall near Vero Beach, Florida, this morning as a Category 1 hurricane. Category 1 means that its maximum wind speeds had reached 75 miles per hour. Nicole made landfall in combination with what meteorologists were calling a "king high tide" even though a king tide is defined as a spring tide when the moon is at perigee, and the recent full moon on November 8th occurred at apogee and during autumn in the northern hemisphere, which is, after all, where Florida is.

Finally (even though few things are ever final), your assignment today is to learn the difference between perigee, apogee, perihelion, and aphelion, and to explain to me if you can why apogee contains an o but aphelion does not.

3 comments:

  1. I like A. Very affectionate.
    You gave a huge assignment. Apogee and perigee are related to the orbit of the moon. When the moon's orbit brings it closest to Earth it is in perigee. Farthest from the Earth is apogee. The root apo means far and peri means close hence the difference in spelling. Perihelion is therefore the closest we come to the sun. Helios Pertains to the sun. Conversely Aphelion is the furthest our orbit takes us from the sun.
    Whew. I need a nap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, it's always good to hear from you. I'm sorry for the several days' delay in my responding. Blogger wasn't letting me reply to comments on my own blog. I hope those dark days are past, as they were rather like being held in a dungeon.

      You get an A for actually doing your homework! You would have received an A+ if you had solved the "ap" verses "apo" qiestion. That must remain a puzzle, I suppose.

      Delete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...