Thursday, March 23, 2023

Name That Tune! (nocturnal version)

I can't remember whether I told you this already, but if I did I'm about to tell you again.

God gives us songs in the night. It says so in the Bible, in the Book of Job (specifically, in Job 35:10).

I can't remember experiencing them when I was younger, but now that I am old it occurs frequently.

When I wake up in the middle of the night, often there is playing on my brain's radio station some old hymn that I knew when I was a young person, when I was singing in church using the old Cokesbury Hymnal. I may not have thought of it in years and years, such as this one:

"Thou, my everlasting portion,
More than friend or life to me;
All along my pilgrim journey,
Savior, let me walk with Thee.

Close to Thee, Close to Thee,
Close to Thee, Close to Thee,
All along this pilgrim journey,
Savior, let me walk with Thee."

Two nights ago I heard a full-blown orchestra and chorus performing from the Christmas portion of Handel's Messiah oratorio:

"For unto us a child is born,
Unto us a son is given,
And the government shall be upon his shoulder,
And his name shall be calléd
Wonderful! Counselor!
The Mighty God! The Everlasting Father!
The Prince Of Peace!"

Early this morning it was a simple little chorus that opened a certain evangelist's television program every week many years ago:

"Something good is going to happen to you,
Happen to you this very day,
Something good is going to happen to you,
Jesus of Nazareth is passing your way."

I could cite more but I don't want to bore you.

Maybe one has to be on the right wave length. You definitely have to have your receiver turned on with the volume up.

If what you hear in the middle of the night are Lady Gaga ballads or old chestnuts made popular by Ella Fitzgerald or early rock-ahd-roll hits from the likes of Jerry Lee Lewis or Little Richard, they might be coming from a different source.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying it's from Satan like the Church Lady (Dana Carvey) on Saturday Night Live. It could be easily explained by what you ate last night for supper (British, tea).

I recommend angel food cake.

7 comments:

  1. As much as I love music I don't usually hear itin my sleep. I'll have to try to reprogram myself. I have dreams. Some are mundane while others are wierd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, I don't hear the music when I'm dreaming. I hear the music when I am awake, but only running through my mind, not with my ears. And I don't think I'm programming myself, they just sort of happen, dredged up from my long-term memory banks. At least that's the way I think about it. But some of my dreams are pretty weird too.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear! I've been receiving Quadrothenia by The Who for the last few days and nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasker, I presume you mean Quadrophenia (with a "ph"). Quadrothenia with a "th" is a different matter entirely and ndicates that you are delusional and a possible danger to yourself and others. Quadrophenia (with a "ph") indicates merely that you are old.

      Delete
    2. The error indicates my reading difficulty. No difficulty in marvelling at John Entwhistle's astonishing bass playing.

      Delete
    3. In attempting to be humorous, I completely forgot that you are having problems with your vision. It was thoughtless of me and I do apologize. I also have problems with vision - astigmatism, cataracts, and macular degeneration. It is getting more and more difficult for me to see the computer screen.; I don't know how much longer I will be blogging.

      Delete
    4. I realised it was humourous and took no offence. My problem is neurological - blind spot just to right of focus, which means I can't see the next words in lines of text, or the adjacent key, or half of long words, which makes it hard to read and type, and because it's neuro it's the same in both eyes. Microsoft Narrator keeps me going for now.

      Delete

<b>My new favorite poem</b>

...is the following one, purportedly by Billy Collins: Another Reason Why I Don't Keep A Gun In The House The neighbors'...