Friday, March 17, 2023

You probably don’t care

...but here are a few of the "triple stumpers" (questions on Jeopardy! that not one of the three contestants could answer) during my absence from Blogland that I knew the answers to (British, to which I knew the answers).

Who is Jiminy Cricket?
What is Erewhon?
What is the Aral Sea?
What is thesis?
What is the Green Book?
What is I Love Lucy?
Who is Dr. Samuel Mudd?
What is drummer?
What is a duvet?
Who is Rembrandt?
What is The Thin Man?
What is Padre Island?

One of the clues mentioned Pinocchio's conscience. Another mentioned that an episode in this television series included the line "I'm your Vitameatavegamin Girl". Another mentioned Nick and Nora. These are all obvious to old geezers like moi. The most distressing silence to me personally, however, was the one following the clue "Thoreau wrote that if a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different this". I suppose I should not have been surprised, as I heard on the news recently that some universities are dropping their degree programs in the humanities and English.

Today is St.Patrick's Day so eat corned beef and cabbage and drink your green beer and wave your Erin Go Bragh flag if you are so inclined. It's a free country.

Our grandson's wedding took place in Alabama over the weekend and it was a glorious time for all concerned. I will not be including any photographs in the interest of family privacy, but many happy scenes are indelibly etched on the silver screen of my mind including one of the lovely Mrs. RWP and me on the dance floor.

Finally, eighty-two years ago tomorrow I took my first breath and have been breathing with regularity ever since. I hope to continue for some time.

I don't know whether I am back for good yet but I am back at the moment.

12 comments:

  1. The Green Book had me stumped until I looked it up. I knew about it but didn't remember the name. Being an old geezer I knew the rest. I love to hear about joyous new beginnings. So I'm glad about the wedding. Most of all have a wonderful birthday. And continue breathing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never think of you as a geezer I am continuing to breathe!

      Delete
  2. Ending sentences with prepositions as in "knew the answers to" - who said it was the kind of language "up with which I will not put"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it was none other than Winston Churchhill. But you have it backwards. When someone took him to task for ending a sentence with a preposition, Churchhill replied, "That is the sort of criticism up with which I will not put."

      Delete
  3. Good to see a post from you Bob. Glad the wedding was fun and happy birthday for tomorrow. Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The birthday was grand indeed but nor as grand as the wedding, which was one for the ages..

      Delete
  4. Well, happy birthday. The eighties are a significant decade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Red! Regarding the eighties, so I'm finding out.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday. I knew a lot of these answers but not all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terra. I have been enjoying reading some of your recent posts.

      Delete
  6. I'm sure I commented but it seems to have disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you had left your comment again so that I could have replied to it. However, since you didn't leave it again, I am, how do you say, "at sixes and sevens" about how (or even whether) to respond!

      Delete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...