Thursday, July 25, 2024

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Life Goes On

Indeed it does. Accordingly, here are more answers to Jeopardy! clues no one knew during my absence from Blogland:

What is lurk? What is scribble? What is New Jersey? What is hymnology? What is the Casbah? What is the Delaware River? What is Dien Bien Phu? (or, more accurately, Điện Biên Phu.)

It never stops.

For those who care, 48 years have gone by since the USA celebrated its bicentennial (200th) anniversary. In two more years, therefore, its 250th anniversary will occur. Do you know the word for that? Also, in what country is Mount Kilimanjaro? Keep reading.

The word for 250th anniversary is semiquincentennial (literally, half of 500) and Mt. Kilimanjaro is in Tanzania. When one of my grandsons spent a whole summer in southern Kenya several years ago he could see Mt. Kilimanjaro every day from his front yard.

it suddenly occurs to me how well-traveled some of my family members are. They have been to Hungary, the fjords of Norway, the Taj Mahal, the Great Wall of China, Guatemala, Japan, Hawaii, England, Mumbai, Dubai, Kenya, Uganda, Honduras, France, Switzerland. The list goes on and on.

I have been to Alabama several times.

I'm joking, sort of. I have set foot in 38 of our 50 states, I think, plus the District of Columbia (as in Washington, D.C.), as well as Canada (just barely), Mexico (just barely), England, Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands, Bermuda, and the Bahamas. I remember that enroute from New York City to Copenhagen, the plane flew high over a very snow-covered Scotland, but i have never had the pleasure of stepping foot thereon.

In the lull between my recuperating from having had a cataract removed from my right eye on July 8th and the excited anticipation of having a cataract removed from my left eye on July 29th, Mrs. RWP kept life exciting for us by being hospitalized/hospitalised for three days days and theee nights because of a gallstone. She came home just in time to celebrate her 89th birthday.

I'm back in Blogland for the moment, but I'm going away again. When I return, my left eye will be able to see what my right eye is already seeing. Unfortunately, I will not be flying over Scotland this time, snow-covered or otherwise.

In closing, I think I have managed to kill a hydrangea.

8 comments:

  1. Cataract removal gave me much better sight. However, I didn't like the 472 drops I had to take. The Micro manager put everyone of them in my eyes. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lot of drops. Besides lubricant drops, which are optional, I'm getting 45 medicinal drops of Imprimis in each eye on a strange schedule. (1 per day for 3 days before surgery, then after surgery it's 3 per day for a week, 2 per day for a week, 1 per day for a week, ) If you do the math, that's 3+21+14+7, or 45 in each eye. I have 2 eyes, so that's 90 drops. You must have been given a different medicine than I was. Either way, it's still a lot of drops. I agree. Thank you, Red.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday to Mrs RWP and tell her not to do it (gallstone) again! Not fun, I'm sure.
    Good luck for you for Monday.
    What did that hydrangea ever do to you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will pass along the birthday greetings. She will do her best not to do it again. Appreciate the good thoughts for Monday. I never did a dadblamed thing to that hydrangea except to water it. Thank you, Janice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please Mrs rwp feel well soon. From experience I know what a relief having that taken care of can be. And now you can enjoy your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The odd thing is she didn't have any pain. She had a severe chill, shivering and teeth chattering and couldn't get warm. She wrapped herself in a blanket and got under a quilt and an hour later was still doing it so I called the EMTs. She was admitted to hospital on Friday afternoon and didn't get out until Monday evening. They think she was passing a large gallstone through her bile duct at the time of the episode, but no one knows for sure. One doctor was lobbying to remove her gallbladder but another said she had a few small stones but they can pass through easily. Is a puzzlement. We chose not to be knife happy if there's nothing wrong with the organ itself , and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Everybody was marveling that she was not in pain. They prescribed medicine for nausea and vomiting and diarrhea but she hasn't had any of those. All seems to be well once again. I appreciate the birthday wishes to her and passed them along. Thank you, Emma!

      Delete
  5. The odd thing is she didn't have any pain. She had a severe chill, shivering and teeth chattering and couldn't get warm. She wrapped herself in a blanket and got under a quilt and an hour later was still doing it so I called the EMTs. She was admitted to hospital on Friday afternoon and didn't get out until Monday evening. They think she was passing a large gallstone through her bile duct at the time of the episode, but no one knows for sure. One doctor was lobbying to remove her gallbladder but another said she had a few small stones but they can pass through easily. Is a puzzlement. We chose not to be knife happy if there's nothing wrong with the organ itself , and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Everybody was marveling that she was not in pain. They prescribed medicine for nausea and vomiting and diarrhea but she hasn't had any of those. All seems to be well once again. I appreciate the birthday wishes to her and passed them along. Thank you, Emma!

    ReplyDelete

<b> It’s too hot to write a long post</b>

The average person (me, for example) has no (okay, little) grasp of just how large or small a number really is. Case in point, I read the...