Thursday, March 21, 2019

Of all the poems I have ever written and other stuff

Of all the poems I have ever written (there have been more than 40), I like this one best:

..................................To Eleanor

The moon, falling softly on the sea;
The wind, moving gently through the grain;
And you, turning quietly to me –
......You three bring joy, silent joy that stills my pain.

The sea, which receives the moon’s caress;
The grain, which receives the wind’s soft touch;
And I, who receive your quietness –
......We three are blessed. No one else can know how much.


...although I like this one too:

..................................The Writer

....................With words alone, he paints
....................from the palette of his mind,
.........................mixing,
.........................blending,
.........................combining
.........................hues and tints
....................until he sees the exact shade
....................he wants.

....................With words alone, she chips away
....................rough edges of meaning,
.........................chiseling,
.........................hewing,
.........................gouging
..............................the solid rock
....................until the long-sought shape
....................emerges.

....................With words alone, she pins and drapes
....................original ideas
....................over the naked manikin page,
.........................tucking in a bit of material
.....................................................................................here,
....................snipping off
....................a dangling thread
there,
....................dropping thoughts
....................as easily as hemlines.

....................With words alone, he composes
....................irresistible music,
.........................charming,
.........................seducing the ear,
.........................searching for a particular chord,
....................the one right sound his words must make
....................for echoes
.........................to linger.


Can you guess what this is a picture of?


It's a trivet, a piece of Arabianware that I bought in February 1969 in Stockholm, Sweden, at "En Ko" (what Swedish people say when they see the letters NK), which is short for Nordiska Kompaniet, the big department store in Hamngatan. Here's a picture of the enire trivet:


Arabianware is not made in Arabia, nor is it made in Sweden. Arabianware is made in Finland. I also bought a salt box and a scoop in the same pattern as the trivet. Here they all are against our kitchen backsplash:


Changing subjects, here's the chocolate ganache cake that was presented to me at my birthday dinner on Monday evening:


It was delicious, but it was also so rich that one can eat only a sliver at a time. Here is what is still left of it today:


Speaking of today, March 21st is my grandfather's birthday. Nathan Silberman, my mother's father, was born in Philadelphia on this day in 1875 and died at the age of 95 years, nine months, in December 1970. He met my wife and all three of my children. If he were still living, he would have turned 144 today.

Happy birthday, Grandpa!

-30-

4 comments:

  1. I can feel the first poem. You were in your 20s?

    I assume the Arabianware is ceramic. Am I correct?

    The cake is not. I can tell that. It is, however, exceedingly rich and unsuitable for those of a feeble constitution or who are diabetic. Therefore it is wonderfully tempting and undoubtedly scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I was in my thirties and possibly even in my forties when I wrote that poem. I know I was not in my twenties because the first poem I ever wrote was entitled "December, 1972" and I turned 30 in 1971. Mrs. RWP and I both think our Arabianware is porcelain, but it might well be ceramic. It is now officially a mystery. We are happy to report that you are absolutely correct about the cake. It IS scrumptious. Undoubtedly.

      Delete
    2. In the UK ceramic is a generic term including porcelain, earthenware and other pottery. I couldn’t have told you which sort it was despite having owned a manufacturing pottery unless I had a piece. Or presumably if I had Googled it.

      Delete
  2. Graham, ah, or as my father used to say on occasion:

    "I see," said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

    Your comment also makes me see that the words pottery and poetry are very similar, and this post includes both.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...