Monday, August 10, 2020

As Robin once said to his BFF...

"Holy place names, Batman!"

Here's a list of holy-sounding place names that I threw together. Can you identify the ones that cannot trace their origin to the Bible?

  1. San Mateo, California
  2. San Marcos, Texas
  3. Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur, Mexico
  4. St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
  5. Corinth, Mississippi
  6. Phillipi, West Virginia
  7. St. Paul, Minnesota
  8. St. James City, Florida
  9. St. Peters, Missouri
  10. San Antonio, Texas
  11. St. Joseph, Missouri
  12. St. Marys, Georgia
  13. St. Louis, Missouri
  14. St. Charles, Illinois
  15. Santa Barbara, California
  16. Santa Monica, California
  17. San Miguel, California
  18. San Gabriel, California
  19. Santa Teresa, Costa Rica
  20. San Felipe, Baja California, Mexico
  21. San Francisco, California
  22. San Clemente, California
  23. Santa Clara, California
  24. San Juan, Puerto Rico
  25. Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
  26. San José, California
  27. San Leandro, California
  28. St. Augustine, Florida
  29. Mount St. Helens, Washington
  30. Santa Catalina Island, California
  31. Saint-Tropez, France
  32. San Isabel, Colorado
  33. St. Lawrence Ruver, Canada
  34. Santa Ynez, California
  35. St. Simons Island, Georgia
  36. San Diego, California
  37. Espiritu Santo, Brazil
  38. Padre Island, Texas
  39. Santa Fe, New Mexico
  40. Santa Cruz, California
  41. Joshua, Texas
  42. Sangre de Cristo Mountains, Colorado
  43. Mont Saint-Michel, France
  44. St. Petersburg, Florida or Russia (take your pick)
  45. Saint Martin (island in the West Indies)
  46. Saint Kitts (island in the West Indies)
  47. Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré, Quebec, Canada
  48. Port St. Lucie, Florida
  49. St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada
  50. Saint Pierre and Miquelon (a French Overseas Collectivity near Newfoundland and Labrador)
  51. Santa Gertrudis (towns in the Mexican states of Coahuila, Chihuahua, Oaxaca, and Vera Cruz; also a breed of cattle)
  52. San Saba, Texas
  53. Santa Rosa, California
  54. Christchurch, New Zealand
I'm sure there are many others, but these are the ones that sprang to mind.

What lists have been waiting to spring to your mind?

12 comments:

  1. My mind is full of lists. I have even posted a couple in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, maybe I've given you an idea for some more posts?

      Delete
  2. Santa Roberto is definitely not in The Bible as this was a den of iniquity in the classical world. I do not wish to be picky but Santa Catalna Island should in fact be Santa Catalina Island.Santa Catalina
    may refer to Saint Catherine of Palma (1533–1574). She was a Spanish nun canonised in 1930 and like Roberto she does not appear in "The Bible".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil, like a good teacher you caught my rare typo in Santa Catalna. I had read that Santa Catalina might refer o Saint Catherine; thank you for the confirmation.

      Delete
  3. I'm probably wrong since I tend to skim over the begats, but I don't remember Charles, Louis,Barbara, Monica,Leandro,,Diego,Martin, Kitts, Gertrude,Saba,Isabel, Ynez and Padre.I also agree with YP about Roberto and Catalina.
    Impressive list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, good job and thanks for participating! You found 13 and that is about half of them. I think there are 25 or 26 names in the list that do not appear in the Bible. Padre is simply Spanish for Father. Santa Cruz means holy cross and Santa Fe means holy faith. This might be a surprise: San Diego. Iago or Iego are forms of the name Jacob in Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian (you may remember Iago in Shakespeare's Othello), and Jacob in Hebrew became James in Greek. So Santiago, Chile and San Diego, California are both forms of the name St. James.

      Delete
  4. I know the Bible has a lot of Saints in it as in your list, but I won't claim to know all of their correct names! My lists are "shopping lists" or like Kylie, "to do lists".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, fully half of the names in my list are not from the Bible.

      Delete
  5. To complicate things I'm more of an Old Testament, New Testament thinker, not a Bible thinker. I would have eliminated all those saints and now I read the comments I see I have some affirmation. At least that's what I think I have...
    I can add two more names to the list -Saint John, New Brunswick and San Juan Islands off the coast of that well known north west state of the USA whose name entirely escapes me at this moment.

    No lists fore today, but when I am home there is always the daily chore list!!
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alphie Soup, that well known north west state of the USA is Washington, named after our first president, George Washington. Speaking of the "north west", Mount St. Helens, which iw also in Washington, was named in honor of Lord St.Helens, a friend of explorer George Vancouver. Apparently if one's first name is George one might get recognized in that part of the world.

      You didn't complicate things. I suppose I am the one who complicated things. When I said "Bible" I meant specifically the Old Testament and New Testament. I did not include the Apocrypha, but then I'm not Anglican or Roman Catholic or Eastern Orthodox or...well, you get the point.

      Thank you for the additions of San Juan Islands and St. John, New Brunswick. I had those names covered via Puerto Rico and Newfoundland, respectively, and thought one instance of a name was enough as far as my list was concerned. Since you included the name Juan (John in Spanish) then surely you must also know that Mateo is Matthew, Marcos is Mark, and Lucas is Luke. Would you have eliminated those names as well? You said you would have eliminated "all those saints".

      Delete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...