Monday, August 31, 2020

Let me count the ways

Once upon a time, 1852-1941 to be exact, there lived in England a man named William Arthur Dunkerley who wrote using the name his parents had given him at birth as well as the names John Oxenham and Julian Ross.

I once thought of writing something using the name Scott Silberman but nothing ever came of it. I actually did write something a few years back using the name Billy Ray Barnwell, but like the narrow way described by Jesus of Nazareth, few there be that find it.

A man named Matthew who was also called Levi wrote down a lot of things he heard J of N say one day to a big crowd on the side of a mountain, and it took up three chapters in his book. One of the things was this: "Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leadeth to destruction, and many there be that go in thereat: because strait is the gate and narrow is the way that leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."

William Arthur Dunkerley writing as John Oxenham composed a poem he called "The Ways" but it was not about a broad one and a narrow one:

The Ways
by John Oxenham

To every man there openeth
A Way, and Ways, and a Way.
The High Soul climbs the High way,
And the Low soul gropes the Low,
And in between, on the misty flats,
The rest drift to and fro.
But to every man there openeth
A High Way and a Low,
And every man decideth
Thw Way his soul shall go.

It goes without saying, ladies, that in the context of this very old poem "man" includes woman and "his" means his or her. Let's not quibble. For good or ill, I am an equal-opportunity feminist.

This post doesn't seem to have any identifiable theme. Still, I forge ahead.

Eric Blair wrote using the name George Orwell. Mary Ann Evans wrote using the name George Eliot. Samuel Langhorne Clemens wrote using the name Mark Twain.

Tell us, what is the name (other than your blogging name, if you have one) you would use to write your magnum opus blockbuster next book?

12 comments:

  1. I can't think of a name, I'm still chuckling over "This post doesn't seem to have any identifiable theme. Still, I forge ahead."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie, I suggest either Sheila Hobart or Sonja Booth MacKenzie.

      Chuckling is good.

      Delete
  2. If I were to write a book, it would be a children's book complete with cartoonish illustrations, probably all about life on the farm. Might as well use my current title of Grammy Pammy! (I'll get started on it right after I have a piece of the hot-from-the-oven blackberry pie I made just before dinner - Better hurry over, RWP, as it won't last long!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Thank you so much, my friend, for a good laugh whilst canning green beans and tomatoes today! You've done the hard part, now I just need to illustrate!

      Delete
    2. H.T.H.S., maybe it could be in verse:

      Grammy Pammy had a farm,
      Grammy Pammy did no harm,
      When the goats were full of milk,
      Grammy Pammy dressed in silk.
      When the milk had all been sold,
      Grammy Pammy wore fine gold.
      When the carrots were all put up,
      Grammy Pammy drank from a crystal cup.
      When the fields were turning green,
      Grammy repaired a sewing machine.

      Or maybe not.

      Delete
  3. I would use River Woods because both names are connected to nature and that name feels right to me.

    As to Billy Ray Barnwell I would say "Caveat emptor!" 😉

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie, I have noticed that the names of upscale subdivisions in suburbs often consist of juxtaposed terms found in nature, such as Hill Cliff, Maple Brook, River Hills, Mountain Glen, Oak Harbor, and so forth. I could go on and on, and I made all of those up, but I trust you get my point. The only human named River that I can think of is River Phoenix who has a sister named Rain.

    I will take your advice concerning Billy Ray Barnwell under advisement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No advice, just acknowledgement! Billy Ray is a talented author!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Tasker (David>, I suppose you can if you must, but I hoped responders would dispense with an obvious, well-used answer and use their imagination instead. “Blue sky” it, as it were. Throw caution to the winds. Live a little.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Peter, Karl is not currently available because so many people want to be associated with it these days, but Groucho, Chico, and Harpo Marx are available.

      Delete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...