Tuesday, May 21, 2024

I’m baaack

...and normalcy (shout-out to President Warren G. Harding, 1921-1923) has returned, more or less, to the blog. I fervently hope that life has slowed down to a dull roar for a while.

Last night I knew four answers on Jeopardy! that none of the contestants clicked in on. (Note. Although people often frown when someone ends a sentence with a preposition, your editor recommends that you smile when someone ends a sentence with two prepositions.)

The four answers, in the form of a question as the rules of Jeopardy! require, are:

1. What is Hawaii? The clue included the words 'sandwich' and 'islands'. Read your history books.

2. Who is Horatio Alger?

3. Who is Ignatius of Loyola? The clue said this man founded the Society of Jesus (the members of which, you may remember, are known as Jesuits, although that was not part of the clue).

4. I forget the fourth one.

Hey, I'm 83 and my memory isn't what it used to be.

I have no trouble remembering my name, age, address, date of birth, social security number, cell phone number, and so on, but I often can't remember what I had for dinner yesterday or other non-eartrh-shattering information.

Did I tell you that this past Sunday was our 61st wedding anniversary? Yup, on Sunday, May 19, 1963, at 3 p.m. in Orlando, Florida, Ellie and I said "I do" and she became Mrs. RHB. She didn't become Mrs. RWP until I started this blog in 2007.

I don't want to bore you further so I will close for now and hope to see you again when next I put fingers to keyboard.

8 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary to both of you. What a wonderful life you must have had together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emma. It has had its ups and downs like most relationships but overall, yes, doing life together with Ellie has been wonderful.

      Delete
  2. Well, happy anniversary. Our anniversary is today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And happy anniversary to you as well, Red. We thought May was a great month for a wedding.

      Delete
  3. I was trying to remember what play My Fair Lady was based on. I was pleased when the answer came to me, for all the world-shattering good it did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but did you know that George Bernard Shaw helped adapt his play Pygmalion into the screenplay for the 1938 non-musical film that starred Leslie Howard (my mother's favorite actor) as Dr. Higgins and Wendy Hiller as Eliza Doolittle, and that they were nominated for (but didn't win) the Oscars for Best Actor and Best Actress by the Motion Picture Academy? Now that's trivia. Thanks for your comment, Janice!

      Delete
  4. Well then, a belated but no less sincere Happy Anniversary to you and your beloved Ellie. What a wonderful accomplishment. TG and I will celebrate 45 years on June 16th. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very, very belated "thank you" to your belated "Happy Anniversary" but just in time to wish you an TG a very happy 45th anniversary! Thanks for commenting, Jenny!

      Delete

<b>Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, Life Goes On</b>

Indeed it does. Accordingly, here are more answers to Jeopardy! clues no one knew during my absence from Blogland: What is lurk? W...