Monday, January 6, 2020

I had an epiphany on Epiphany

...when I saw this encore azalea bush in our yard today, valiantly blooming away on a dreary day in January.

Encore azaleas are supposed to bloom in April and October, but not in January. Though the bush itself looks a bit drab and lackluster, the way bushes are supposed to look in winter, the splashes of color (or, if you are in one of the British Commonwealth of Nations countries, colour) brightened my day, bringing me happiness and joy by simply being.

I decided to look around the house for other splashes of color/colour and found several.

A purple puff just hanging around in the laundry room.

Oranges on the kitchen counter.

Red rugs in the guest bathroom.

A yellow candle on the baker's rack.

A pink baby blanket Mrs. RWP is making, on a table covered with blue and white fabric purchased in Mumbai in 2018 by one of our grandsons.

Two insulated bags I take to the supermarket for the bagger to put frozen stuff in.

My desktop computer screen.

The modem next to my computer.

Lighter blues in the master bedroom.

Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls made by Mrs. RWP 45 years ago.

An angel in a blue dress, some little dishes that our son brought back from either Guatemala or Honduras, a green vase, and a blue tin that contains tea.

Finally, because Christmas wasn't officially over until today, a ceramic Christmas Tree that lights up and plays Christmas carols with a little train circling its base.

I took the wreath down from the front door and packed the ceramic Christmas tree away for another year.

And I felt happy and joyful.

I hope you do too.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you.
    I loved the splashes of colour but the disaster which is unfolding in our country leaves me anything but happy and joyful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child (Sue), I'm glad you liked it. We are all quite sad about the situation there, especially with the animals.

      Delete
  2. You are posting so fast I can't keep up!

    I like your splashes of colour and your beautifully curated home. It reminds me of my mums place but I have never achieved that kind of order.

    As EC says, happiness and joy are difficult here at the moment but there has been rain, fires are less dangerous, firefighters are able to rest a little and I keep looking for the good news stories. There are teeny sprinkles of hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie, no one has ever said the words "beautifully curated" about my house before. Makes me think of it as a museum. It does include two rather ancient amblers.

      After not registering on our country's radar for some time, the news reports now include the fires in Australia and mentions of unbelievable numbers of animals affected. Satellite photographs make it look like the entire southeastern coast is ablaze. Yesterday I heard that we are sending 100 firefighters to help. About time.

      Delete
  3. All that color had to brighten your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, and it did! (Maybe I am just easily brightened...)

      Delete
  4. I love this post! It's so colorful and happy! I love your little dog on the bed too!

    Happy Epiphany!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie! I'm glad you liked it! Abby was rescued from a hoarding situtation and we adopted her from the Forsyth County Humane Society two days before Christmas in 2017 when she was about 18 months old.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the pictures of color and treasures and memories. We need all the hope and happiness we can get in these times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, you're welcome. You are right, we certainly need all the hope and happiness we can get in these times.

      Delete
  6. Forgot to mention that the picture of your pup made me smile. What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, see my comment to Bonnie about our doggie. Since she is Chihuahua/Terrier mix, I have begun referring to her as Senorita Juanita Rosita Lolita Abigail, Abby for short. She owns the house; she just lets us live there.

      Delete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...