Friday, January 3, 2020

Mitsubishi means three diamonds

Not that it matters one whit, but when it comes to languages, I know snippets of things. Also, I am too lazy today to supply the accents and diacritical markings. You'll have to do that yourself.

French: coup d’etat, c’est la vie, bon soir, coup de grace, c’est la guerre, au revoir, honi soit qui mal y pense, oui, non, peut-etre, merci beaucoups, liberte, egalite, fraternite

Spanish: Feliz Navidad, si senor, gracias, mas agua por favor

Swedish: god Jul, varsogod, sjo hundra sjottiosjo, tack so mycket, var finst der herrtoaletten?

Portuguese: obrigado, feliz Natal, bom Dia

Japanese: arigato, sayonara, sukiyaki, teriyaki, mitsubishi

German: Auf Wiedersehen, gesundheit, dummkopf, ich liebe dich, Wiener schnitzel

Chinese: sheh-sheh, ni hao?, ding hao!

Swahili: jambo, asante

Italian: ciao

I hope you know I am only kidding. Sort of.

I just remembered that I also know a few Russian words and quite a few Albanian words, but you probably don't care so I won't bore you further with them.

This is my 1,800th post since September 28, 2007.

8 comments:

  1. It is surprising that you can recall so little Swedish having resided in Sweden for an enormous chunk of your life. Weren't you the IBM boss in Sweden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire Pudding, I was in Sweden for only one month, from Feb. 1st until March 1, in the year 1969. I never "resided" there at all. Carl VI Gustav was not king then; Gustav VI Adolph was. And I wasn't IBM boss either. If I had been IBM boss, I would have chosen to go in June instead of February.

      Delete
  2. Bits and pieces are all I know too. Not very useful I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, I agree. but it impresses those who know even less.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Tasker Dunham, google translate doesn't recognize the word but I can guess what you mean.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on 1800 posts! That's quite an achievement! I've always admired people that spoke many languages - even snippets of them. I took French in school but never got beyond reading a limited amount. Conversational French left me in the dark. Your many snippets of languages could come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, the only language I speak is English, I'm sorry to say. I just know snippets of these others. I took a year of Latin and a year of French.

      Delete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...