Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Three lists to keep you occupied on an otherwise dreary day

1. Here is a list, in no particular order, of famous and semi-famous people I have seen in person, though not necessarily on the stage:

Liberace
Dick Clark
Carol Channing
Patrice Munsell
Kay Armen
Howard Morris
Thomas J Watson Jr. (CEO of IBM)
Ronnie Millsap
Cliff Barrows
Angie Dickinson
Burt Bacharach
John F. Kennedy
Ethel Waters
Irving Berlin
George Otis (CEO of Lear Jet)
Senator Herman Talmadge
Pat Boone
Kathryn Kuhlman
Dino Kartsonakis
Lucie Arnaz
Tommy Tune
Ludlow Porch
General Curtis LeMay
Barbara Dooley (Mrs. Vince Dooley)
Eva Mae LeFevre
Jack Cassidy
Anita Bryant
Lyndon Baines Johnson
Noel Harrison
Lieutenant General William G. "Jerry" Boykin
Peggy Cass
Lou Jacoby
Anita Gillette

2. Here is a neat list of the NATO phonetic alphabet and Morse Code characters in a single chart:


3. Here is a list showing all of the direct descendants of King George V and their place in the line of succession to the British throne:

King George V (1865–1936)
King Edward VIII (1894–1972)
King George VI (1895–1952)
Queen Elizabeth II (born 1926)
(1) Charles, Prince of Wales (b. 1948) B D W
(2) Prince William, Duke of Cambridge (b. 1982) B D W
(3) Prince George of Cambridge (b. 2013) B D W
(4) Princess Charlotte of Cambridge (b. 2015) B D W
(5) Prince Louis of Cambridge (b. 2018) B D
(6) Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (b. 1984) B D W
(7) Archie Mountbatten-Windsor (b. 2019) B D
(8) Prince Andrew, Duke of York (b. 1960) B D W
(9) Princess Beatrice of York (b. 1988) B D W
(10) Princess Eugenie, Mrs Jack Brooksbank (b. 1990) B D W
(11) Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex (b. 1964) B D W
(12) James Mountbatten-Windsor, Viscount Severn (b. 2007) B D W
(13) Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor (b. 2003) B D W
(14) Anne, Princess Royal (b. 1950) B D W
(15) Peter Phillips (b. 1977) B D W
(16) Savannah Phillips (b. 2010) B D W
(17) Isla Phillips (b. 2012) B D W
(18) Zara Tindall (née Phillips; b. 1981) B D W
(19) Mia Tindall (b. 2014) D W
(20) Lena Tindall (b. 2018)[5] D
Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon (1930–2002) 1952
(21) David Armstrong-Jones, 2nd Earl of Snowdon (b. 1961) D W
(22) Charles Armstrong-Jones, Viscount Linley (b. 1999) D W
(23) Lady Margarita Armstrong-Jones (b. 2002) D W
(24) Lady Sarah Chatto (née Armstrong-Jones; b. 1964) D W
(25) Samuel Chatto (b. 1996) D W
(26) Arthur Chatto (b. 1999) D W
Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester (1900–1974) 1952
(27) Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester (b. 1944) D W
(28) Alexander Windsor, Earl of Ulster (b. 1974) D W
(29) Xan Windsor, Lord Culloden (b. 2007) D W
(30) Lady Cosima Windsor (b. 2010) D W
(31) Lady Davina Windsor (b. 1977) D W
(32) Senna Lewis (b. 2010) D W
(33) Tāne Lewis (b. 2012) D W
(34) Lady Rose Gilman (née Windsor; b. 1980) D W
(35) Lyla Gilman (b. 2010) D W
(36) Rufus Gilman (b. 2012) D W
Prince George, Duke of Kent (1902–1942)
(37) Prince Edward, Duke of Kent (b. 1935) D W
(38) George Windsor, Earl of St Andrews (b. 1962) M D W
Edward Windsor, Lord Downpatrick (b. 1988) X D W
Lady Marina Windsor (b. 1992) X D W
(39) Lady Amelia Windsor (b. 1995) D W
Lord Nicholas Windsor (b. 1970) X D W
(40) Albert Windsor (b. 2007) D W]
(41) Leopold Windsor (b. 2009) D W
(42) Louis Windsor (b. 2014) D W
(43) Lady Helen Taylor (née Windsor; b. 1964) D W
(44) Columbus Taylor (b. 1994) D W
(45) Cassius Taylor (b. 1996) D W
(46) Eloise Taylor (b. 2003) D W
(47) Estella Taylor (b. 2004) D W
(48) Prince Michael of Kent (b. 1942) M W
(49) Lord Frederick Windsor (b. 1979) W
(50) Maud Windsor (b. 2013) W
(51) Isabella Windsor (b. 2016)
(52) Lady Gabriella Kingston (née Windsor; b. 1981) W
(53) Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Lady Ogilvy (b. 1936) W
(54) James Ogilvy (b. 1964) W
(55) Alexander Ogilvy (b. 1996) W
(56) Flora Ogilvy (b. 1994) W
(57) Marina Ogilvy (b. 1966) W
(58) Christian Mowatt (b. 1993) W
(59) Zenouska Mowatt (b. 1990) W

Sources or note on exclusion from succession

1952: Succession published on the accession of Queen Elizabeth II in 1952
B: Listed by the official website of the British Monarchy, "Succession", retrieved 8 May 2019.
D: Listed on Debrett's website (as of 27 May 2019): "The Line of Succession"
W: Listed by Whitaker's Almanack 2015, London: Bloomsbury, ISBN 978-1-4729-0929-9, p. 22
M: These people had been excluded through marriage to a Roman Catholic. This exclusion was repealed on 26 March 2015, restoring them to the line of succession, when the Perth Agreement came into effect.
X: Excluded as Roman Catholics. This exclusion is not affected by changes subsequent to the Perth Agreement.

My fervent hope is that these lists have helped you to pass an otherwise dreary day with a modicum of amusement, interest, or joie de vivre. In the comments, if you like, tell us what famous or semi-famous persons you have come into contact with, seen with your own eyes (not on television or film), breathed the same air as, as it were. You need not attempt to insert yourself into the line of succession to the British throne. We will not believe you. We were not born yesterday.

17 comments:

  1. I resisted the temptation to comment in morse code. I've actually heard of 13 of those in list 1. I wonder whether numbers 6-10 in list 3 could ever happen even if called upon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasker Dunham, I may be mistaken, but I think you just slammed Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie.

      Delete
  2. I found your list of famous sightings more interesting than the royal lineage. I hadn't thought of Patrice Munsell in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, I saw her in Naughty Marietta in Dallas, Texas, back in the 1950s. I can still hear her singing "Ah, Sweet Mystery Of Life, at last I've found you..."

      Delete
  3. List #1 is a big list. You've seen a lot of famous people. I have been to many rock concerts over the years as well as other types of shows and I honestly would not remember all the names. I have accidentally run into a few famous people too but only remember one or two names.

    List #2 is a good list to know in case of an emergency I suppose. I never did learn it but I do know SOS!

    List #3 is interesting to me as I am something of a Royal watcher. I might be able to list the first 20 but beyond that I would be lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, hard as it may be to believe, I have never attended a rock concert. I know SOS too!: ... _ _ _ ...

      Delete
  4. Shame you missed Number 60 from the third list or was it simply an act of peevishness?
    60 Lord Pudding of Yorkshire (b.1953 d.?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lord Pudding of Yorkshire, I must admit that you do bear an uncanny resemblance to Sophia, Electress of Hanover.

      Delete
    2. Being a humble fellow, I have never previously alluded to this royal connection over in my blog but yes there is a familial link between me and Sophia through her grandson, King George II.

      Delete
  5. Well I can say with a degree of certainty of +/- 0 that I have not knowingly met any in List 1. I cannot speak Morse but I can speak the phonetic alphabet. I suspect that list 3 is of less interest to the average resident of the UK (especially Scotland and Wales) than it is to many Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some impressive lists! Who was your favorite famous person?
    My list would be much shorter, but I think Weird Al would be my favorite. Since we are Star Trek fans, I have seen William Shatner, and we have autographs from George Takei, Walter Koenig, John deLancie, Robert Picardo.
    I have also seen Riders in the Sky perform. :D
    Some voice actors:Tara Strong, Andrea Libman, Vic Micnogna,
    and Lauren Faust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, since it's all about me and not about any of them, I would say Dick Clark, because I was 17 and it was in Philadelphia and I was seen dancing on national television on American Bandstand by my friends back in Texas an I became the "celebrity du jour" when I saw them again. Or it might be Ludlow Porch, a local radio/TV celebrity here in Atlanta for many years that no one anywhere else has heard of. I don't know any of the voice actors you mentioned, but then I am woefully out of touch with the current scene.

      Delete
    2. Oh how fun! Sounds like a wonderful experience. I wonder if we could find a clip of that tape somehow. Dick Clark seemed like a really nice person.

      Delete
    3. Kathy, it lives on in my memory, tape or no. I think Dick Clark was about 28 at the time. He had the knack of making teenagers feel that their opinions were important.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a great memory!
    There are several clips on youtube, so perhaps yours is on there. I watched one from 1957 which was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, that would be the right era. After school, teenagers did not go out looking for trouble in those days, they went home to watch Bandstand on their little 12-inch black-and-white television sets. Everybody knew the daily "regulars" like Kenny and Arlene, Bob and Justine, and so forth. When the program moved to California, went to a once-a-week-on-Saturday program, and was broadcast in color, it wasn't the same. It was too slick, too professionally produced, too "gone Hollywood" -- at leas for those who knew it in its original incarnation. The younger teens coming up later didn't know the difference. I could wax philosophical and say "and thus life remains the same to the current day"....

      Delete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...