Saturday, January 4, 2020

It's only January 4th

...and already I'm falling behind. Sometimes life drags by, and sometimes it whizzes. The older I get, the faster it seems to go.

It's not that my life is filled with exciting, whirlwind activities, it's that my ability to cope with things seems to be declining, ebbing, going away even.

For your information, I am 78; I'll be 79 in March. Tomorrow is the birthday of my only remaining step-brother out in Texas. He'll be 83. In April he and his wife will have been married for 60 years. I played the piano at their wedding.

That's a lot of water under the bridge or over the dam or whatever it is people say about water. I just know that an awful lot of time has gone by. I can't have too much time left. I'm hoping to live longer than my grandfather who died in his 96th year.

Speaking of Texas, one of my step-cousins out there lost her husband Charles to cancer about two months ago. He was a fire marshall, and his widowed father, Herman, lived with them. Herman died early in the morning on New Year's Day. He was 99 years old and had retired from two careers, one as an Army Master Sergeant and one as a High School ROTC instructor. The dates on his obituary caught my eye: 11/15/1920 - 1/1/2020. Everyone who knew them loved both Charles and Herman.

I'm rambling.

Again.

I think I have finally caught up with replying to comments on my blog and leaving comments on other people's blogs and welcoming new bloggers to the blogosphere (Bonnie in Missouri).

I will quit while I am ahead, if I am in fact ahead.

I don't want to tax my readers beyond their limits.

The best way to take me is in small doses.

T.T.F.N.

11 comments:

  1. Wishing you a Happy New Year from Bend Oregon ... I am 78 and turn 79 in September! Stay healthy and happy .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, thank you, and the same to you! I am six months older than you. Did I ever tell you that my cousin Peggy Palmer lived in Bend for many, many years? After her husband George died, she moved to Lacey, Washington.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing this, I didn’t know. Have lived in seven States including IL, MO, MD, MN, GA, FL and OR! I’ve enjoyed them all, Oregon is the most beautiful, snow covered mountains, majestic pines and friendly people!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad for you that you caught up. I hope you realize it's just like doing the dishes. About the time you catch up somebody decides to have a snack and dirty dishes start all over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, there were extenuating circumstances. I was unable to reply to comments for three whole days on either my desktop computer or my smart phone. The experts fixed it today. I will try to remember the doing the dishes analogy.

      Delete
  3. The older you get, the faster time goes by is about the truest statement I've heard this year! What happens to time when we get older anyway? It gets too darn slippery to hold onto anymore!

    I am sorry to hear of the loss of your cousin and his father. How difficult for the family to have two such losses so close together.

    Thank you for your kind welcome to the blogosphere. I have a lot to learn but there sure are some nice people here.

    I like Emma's analogy to doing the dishes. Except I enjoy comments but not so much dishes.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, it's hard to tell the players without a program. It was my stepcousin's husband and then the husband's father. My stepmother was Mildred and her older sister was Cleo. Janice (the stepcousin) is Cleo's daughter. We are the same age.

      I don't like doing dishes either but I am learning to do them anyway.

      Delete
  4. I was up at 0500 this morning. I took a 2 ½ hour ferry journey and drove 250 miles. I read your post. That post was the last straw. I may only be 75 but I now feel 95.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I hope my post did not contribute to the feeling.

      Delete
  5. Sorry about the loss of your cousin's husband and father. It is hard to lose a loved one anytime, but holidays are the worst. We lost my Mom suddenly on Dec 11, 2004. It is hard to believe it has been that long.
    Sounds like longevity runs in your family, and I hope you live to be 100+ with good health...a life well lived!
    Many blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, my mom died 62 years ago (I was 16) and I still think about her every day.

      Delete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...