Sunday, January 26, 2020

I must have made poor choices careerwise

Some people either have far more clothing than I do or spend a great deal more for their clothing than I do.

I saw a television commercial recently for something called Poshmark, which I later learned advertises itself as the “#1 way to buy and sell fashion”.

The commercial featured three satisfied customers.

Woman #1 said, “With the money I’ve made on Poshmark, I’ve been able to pay for all our family’s vacations.”

Woman #2 said, “I can pay for my wedding just on what I’ve made from Poshmark!”

Woman #3 said, “I made 10,000 dollars and I was able to buy my new car!”

My first reaction was “Really?” and my second reaction was “Who was this commercial aimed at anyway?”

My third, fourth, and fifth reactions were “Who believes this pitch?”, and “Who can possibly earn enough from selling their used clothing to pay for a family vacation, a wedding, or a new car?”, and (but I repeat myself) “Really?”

The answers, my friend, are blowing in the wind and they are, in alphabetic order:

Not me, Not me, Not me, Not me, and Not me.

I worked for two Fortune 500 companies for 33 years altogether and made a very nice living, but somehow I neglected to make a fortune of my own along the way.

Where did I go wrong?

Do you have enough clothes (or enough expensive ones) to pay for your family’s vacations, your wedding, or a new car with the proceeds you could acquire from selling them to a salivating public?

I guess I will never understand being a millennial.

16 comments:

  1. I doubt that a sale of our clothing would pay for a trip to McDonalds (which is an exaggeration but not much). Clothing is very low on my list of spending priorities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elephant's Child (Sue), McDonald's sounds about right for my wardrobe also.

      Delete
  2. I agree. ///anyone who has clothes that valuable would not sell them on Poshmark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, it turns out that normal people like you and me but with a bit of an entrepreneurial spirit about them buy clothing cheaply at thrift stores, sometimes with the tags still on, and resell them on sites like Poshmark. It's often not their own clothes that they are disposing of. So I was told by my friend Bianca, who has a friend she claims earns $5,000 per month this way.

      Delete
  3. I'm afraid we live in jeans & layered T-shirts with button ups over...and we WORK in them. When they are beyond use on the farm, we purchase more of the same. If their clothing is worth that much used, I can't imagine what they 'wasted' on it to start with! If they are buying, reselling and making a bundle, they live in a different world than I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilltop (Pam), see my astounding reply to Emma above.

      Delete
  4. Isn't that the most rediculous commercial! Anyone that can afford to buy clothes that expensive are not likely to be reselling them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, I think it's a ridiculous commercial too, but see my astounding reply to Emma above for another opinion!

      Delete
  5. Um. Yea. Ok

    The millennial I work with has tried selling her clothes. Nobody was buying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie, my luck is pretty much like your co-worker's. I guess some people have it and some people don't.

      Delete
  6. These women #1,#2 & #3 are living on some other planet. I've had a quick look at the website and based on the clothing offered there it would a long time before that new car would be a reality.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alphie Soup, I agree, but see also my reply to Emma Springfield's comment above.

      Delete
  7. Well I wasted 30 seconds going to visit Poshmark. I don't think we have an equivalent in the UK. I agree - no way, José. I'm just off to a funeral. I shall be wearing my made-to-measure/bespoke/custom built or whatever suit that I was wearing for my last day at the office when I retired from Government Service in 1995. It's a good job that I didn't sell it. I've worn it to every funeral I've been to since. But I digressed. Obviously Poshmark makes money for itself. Come to think of it in New Zealand in a very smart little suburb town there was a shop that sold posh clothes for a commission. Apparently a lot of 'smart' ladies buy a dress for a do and, as they always meet the same people at the next do, they never wear the same dress twice. "Oh, darling. it's so goo to see you. I love your dress. Was that the one Amy was wearing at our last soirée?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, we would say "tailor-made" in place of "custom built"....A friend of mine claims that a friend of hers earns $5,000 per month selling clothes on Poshmark. The key to success, apparently, is to buy clothing cheaply at thrift stores and re-sell them, not try to re-sell one's own clothes. I am somewhat skeptical as it sounds like it would be a full-time job.

      Delete
  8. I haven't seen that commercial, but wow!
    I have heard of people buying designer clothes at thrift shops and reselling them on poshmark. But I still can't imagine that one would make much money doing that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, it boggles the mind, but see my reply to Emma Springfield above.

      Delete

<b>Always true to you, darlin’, in my fashion</b>

We are bombarded daily by abbreviations in everyday life, abbreviations that are never explained, only assumed to be understood by everyone...